1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hoping to jump to m43

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by gt7599a, Sep 13, 2012.

1. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    A good friend has been convincing me for the past year I need to dump my Canon DLSR for a lighter weight m43 setup. I'm pretty well convinced but don't have the capitol for the jump yet to the OM-D. Waiting for Photokina to end so I'll know what I'm saving up for, an OM-D or something else.

I've got a young son so hauling 20lb of camera gear isn't the option it used to be. I shot low light and want to use legacy lenses so IBIS is high on my priority.

In the mean time I just need to shoot what I've got and push myself.

Ed

2. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    Hello and welcome! Everyone here is super lovely and I hope you enjoy your time here.

I had a Nikon D7000 set up with a wide lens, a prime and a few other tidbits. When we went travelling it ended up being unbelievably heavy. I bought the DSLR to Tokyo and after a few hours the 2kg felt like 200kg! My partner told me no more and we decided to invest in a lighter camera for our next holiday. (He told me he won't be carrying the bag if I bring that other thing with me!).

Have fun shooting!

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! You might want to pick up an E-P3 - you can find some awesome prices and it works well with legacy glass. It was the flagship camera before the EM-5 and is a well constructed, highly effective camera. I sold all of my Canon gear and only shoot :43: these days, no regrets! :cool:

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    You're already seeing E-M5 bodies used for $850-$900. Wait a few months, especially if they announce the next model in the OM-D line, and they'll start popping up for hundreds less. I've purchased four different :43: bodies (five, if you count the E-P2 that I had for about a week), each of which was purchased 3-6 months too soon, resulting in a loss of about $300 each (price paid vs. value 3-6 months later, which they usually settled at for a long time.) I will now be patient. I expect that by the end of the year, the E-M5 will be in my take-a-look price range.

In the military, they have a saying about gear: "ounces are pounds." Not sure what the metric equivalent statement would be ("grams are kilograms" would be a much bigger exaggeration), but you get the idea.

5. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    Oz are lbs, Yes I've heard that & felt it. Thanks for the heads up on price drop, my first two dslr bodies were new (Canon D30 then a 20D), two summer's ago I bought a 550D used, big step up for a lot less.

Save up & wait.
    Ed

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Another approach: Buy an older Pen body. The E-PL1s are going for as low as $120 refurbished. Similar sensor to all but the OM5 but the AF is slower. Get some nice glass like the Lumix 20 or the Oly 45. If you like what you get, you have very little tied up in a body and can upgrade and keep the old one as a backup.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am in transit right now from Nikon to m4/3. As soon as I can afford an E-M5 I will switch completely. Sad thing is the only Nikon body I have left{D5000} isn't worth much - money wise at least{selling for less than half of what I paid and I got a good deal}. The biggest reason for the switch is the size/weight factor. The other reason is being able to use legacy lenses of all brands.

8. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    @speedandstyle, you're in a good position though with your lenses since you have direct aperture control on then. That's one of the things that'll hurt me in the transition. While there are EF to MFT adaptors with a manual aperture built into the adaptor, they only work on EF, not EF-S mounts.

Funny to fund myself looking at manual focus long lenses on keh.

I still have a dream of going by a yard sale and finding a box full of old Leica gear... :rolleyes:

Ed

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I tried the F adaptor that allows for the "G" lenses But it is so hard to know what f-stop it is at since the adaptor isn't marked. For the most part I only use my Nikkors with an aperture ring on m4/3.

I am currently working on a couple who clean out storage units and they have a bunch of photography gear. I am trying to get the Leica lenses they have{or as they pronounce it "LIE-KEY-AH"}.

10. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    Well, if they have any Lie-key-ah lenses they need to get rid of in the $200 or less category, please let me know. :D
    Ed