hoping Olympus releases a 4/3 camera with OM-D sensor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kevwilfoto, Mar 12, 2013.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    There are probably very few people thinking this, but I still miss the solid grip of a full-size DSLR grip, and the Olympus 4/3 lenses are awesome. If Olympus put out an E-40 or E-6 with the OM-D sensor I would totally buy one.

I love the light weight of my OM-D kit, but I find myself longing for that grip and that 4/3 glass. Good thing my wife doesn't read this. :)
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Rumor has it that an E-5 replacement will be announced later this year (at Photokina?). I would expect it to have the OM-D sensor, or perhaps maybe the next generation.

I've noticed that the used prices on some of the great 4/3 lenses seem to have crept down a bit lately since it's been 2.5 years since a 4/3 camera has been announced. Now might be a good time to go bargain hunting in anticipation of the new body.
  3. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I would buy an E7 if it had the E-M5 sensor but not if it came in an E3 body. I had an E3 and its just frankly too big and heavy for this size sensor format. The E series made a lot of sense to me with bodies such as the E620, but just didn't make any sense as a pro offering with the E3/E5. If Pentax can produce the K5 then surely Olympus could produce a similar size or slightly smaller/lighter fully featured 4/3 SLR.
  4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I'm still sportin' the E-5 (although using the EPM2 more), in hopes that the next gen body will be able to use my main lenses that i have (12-60, 50-200 EC-14, and 7-14)...unless someone wants to trade me outright for an OMD body for an E-5 body :biggrin:.
  5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Not me...I was missing a feature rich normal SLR sized camera for 10 years (until the E-M5 came out). The E-4xx bodies weren't good enough!

If only they could make the 4/3 lemses work properly with the E-M5, or if the 4/3 body was E-M5 sized!