Hope they don't bring out another E-P...

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
...too soon. I've now got an E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1, I don't want to be tempted yet again.:redface: I needed a replacement for our LX2, which bit the dust, so decided to get another family member that my wife could use. What a neat camera and if Olympus had brought out the E-PL1 from the outset, I think they would have had the market sewn up by now.

I've left just about every setting as it came out of the box, other than a few tweaks, so that there's no thinking required when taking shots. The E-PL1 feels very good in the hand and despite not being built as well as the E-P1/2, it doesn't feel cheap. I've held DSLRs that feel cheaper (no names, no pack drill). :biggrin:

One of our neighbours happened to be over when I showed the camera and they were thoroughly impressed with the size. They loved the fact that it was relatively small, but had a bit of size and weight to keep things stable. I reckon a great marketing ploy would be to go about and let people really see and feel what this camera is all about, rather than leave it to camera sales people. They do it with wine and food, why not cameras?

Cheers

Ray

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks Ray, you know that Olympus were waiting for you to catch up before releasing their high spec m4/3rds cam :rofl:

I expect it any day now... thanks :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
Ray

The EPL tempts me as well, I already have an EP2 and G1 but the flash of the EPL enabling wireless with my metz AF58 is tempting.

I evenrually see myself have 3 bodies, one with a wide 9/18 one with the panny 20 and one with a tele

Oh did I mention I hate changing lenses

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
That's one thing that is attractive about the E-PL1, not so much the pop-up flash, which I don't particularly like, but that it does allow you to use external flash, which you can't do with the E-P2 if you have the EVF attached.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Agh, don't tempt me.....I shouldn't even think about another body...:smile:

I don't think that you'd regret it, in fact, I'm so impressed with this camera that I think you could cover major events with it (within reason) and just smile at how little it really cost, compared to the performance that it provides. Olympus had better not wait too long to bring out an E-Px with a built in EVF, as that will be game changing (even though it'd be another camera to buy).

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray, I'm very glad you decided to buy your wife the E-PL1. I think it's a wonderful camera and am extremely pleased with it. I do have the EVF...but you can always let your wife use yours if she needs it, right?

Angela really doesn't care for complexity, but I wanted to give her an opportunity to get better shots than with a P&S. I think the E-PL1 will do that and more.

Cheers

Ray

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but I think Oly needs to come out with a fixed lens mFT camera. I have a friend who has a G7, and was wanting to upgrade. He played with my camera and the EPL1 in the stores, and his biggest complaint was having to manually zoom.

Noticing the slimness of the NEX cameras, I wonder if the sensor could be farther back even more than it is now and a collapsable fixed zoom lens could be put on a camera as large or slightly larger than the Canon G series cameras. I think if they could do it, they'd sell like hotcakes.( or pancakes ? )

Dj

CalebPhotographer

Mu-43 Regular
I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but I think Oly needs to come out with a fixed lens mFT camera. I have a friend who has a G7, and was wanting to upgrade. He played with my camera and the EPL1 in the stores, and his biggest complaint was having to manually zoom.

Noticing the slimness of the NEX cameras, I wonder if the sensor could be farther back even more than it is now and a collapsable fixed zoom lens could be put on a camera as large or slightly larger than the Canon G series cameras. I think if they could do it, they'd sell like hotcakes.( or pancakes ? )

Dj

He complained because he had precise control over the zoom level?
The whole point of this camera is to get professional level quality from a smaller form factor. Lenses being one of the largest parts of that. If you can't change the lens, then it's just another point and shoot.

If your friend wants to spend $500 on a point and shoot, Sony makes some good ones for around that price range.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
He complained because he had precise control over the zoom level?
The whole point of this camera is to get professional level quality from a smaller form factor. Lenses being one of the largest parts of that. If you can't change the lens, then it's just another point and shoot.

If your friend wants to spend $500 on a point and shoot, Sony makes some good ones for around that price range.

I think the problem from many P&S lovers is that they are used to taking pictures with one hand.

I'm actually all for a fixed lens mFT camera. My gf I know would love it.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
What they should offer is a Left hand version.
I'd live to be able to carry 1 in each hand.
Brian carries in the left hand. I can't do it but it's a great idea.

landshark

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought my wife an E-PL1 a couple of weeks ago mainly because she was not very happy with images she was getting while using my old Canon G10 and she does not want to tweek her photos after she takes them. She is totally in love with the Olympus, the jpegs are just what she was looking for and loves using the camera.
I am amazed at how good the image quality is for the price paid, great little camera.

CalebPhotographer

Mu-43 Regular
I think the problem from many P&S lovers is that they are used to taking pictures with one hand.

I'm actually all for a fixed lens mFT camera. My gf I know would love it.

I started on a Nikon N2000.

From there, I moved to a Sony Cybershot DSC-N2 for years, and got to know it inside out. A point and shoot.

Now I'm on to the PEN. I don't understand why you would wish for less versatility when there are cameras out there exactly like you're describing. Point and Shoots. It is very clear to the people who want point and shoots that the PEN is not that.. So why would they change the PEN?

Just to clarify that we understand each other, by fixed lens you mean this?
b1f920a19cb89a4eefd29f7b19c616b2.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
First of all, back to the original topic. E-P1 + E-P2 + E-PL1?

Lets ask the typical addiction questions :
1) is it impacting you financially?
2) do you find your self thinking about it all day? or many times during the day?
3) is it impacting other people like other family members?
4) is it affecting your work?
5) does it feature significantly in your life like day to day plans or monthly or yearly plans?
6) do you feel it is something you can not live with out?
7) do you get nervous or feel empty when you're away from it for a few days?
8) could you see yourself hurting some one if they came between you and this item?

The first step is in admitting you have a problem.

As for the p&s issue...

...I don't understand why you would wish for less versatility when there are cameras out there exactly like you're describing. Point and Shoots. It is very clear to the people who want point and shoots that the PEN is not that.. So why would they change the PEN?

My interpretation of his request is as follows : "I wish there was a point and shoot that had a large sensor, roughly 18×13.5 mm". I think it's a reasonable request. I could do with a truly small pocket size camera with good image quality. I could live with it being a fixed lens of 14-42mm or something like that.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
First of all, back to the original topic. E-P1 + E-P2 + E-PL1?

Lets ask the typical addiction questions :
1) is it impacting you financially?
2) do you find your self thinking about it all day? or many times during the day?
3) is it impacting other people like other family members?
4) is it affecting your work?
5) does it feature significantly in your life like day to day plans or monthly or yearly plans?
6) do you feel it is something you can not live with out?
7) do you get nervous or feel empty when you're away from it for a few days?
8) could you see yourself hurting some one if they came between you and this item?

The first step is in admitting you have a problem.

For me, it's no to all of the above, I just don't want to be tempted too soon. :biggrin: My wife's already badgering me about having too many cameras. 'But Dear, I use them all.' :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom