Hoodman Loupe on a GM1?

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Yes, I have one and it seems to work well. I haven't had much chance to use it yet, however.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I have a Hoodman that I bought years ago to use with my E-P1. Personally, I think it's crap. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I've mounted a loupe (not Hoodman though) on my E-PL1 for MF lenses in order to free up the hotshoe for flash triggers. I like it despite the low resolution screen of the E-PL1

y3yjy6a4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
In what way is it crap?

When looking through the eyepiece, the view is simply magnified, like looking through a cheap plastic magnifying lens and it's not implemented very well either. I've never tried the sort of loupes that videographers use, but I doubt that they'd be happy with the Hoodman I have.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
When looking through the eyepiece, the view is simply magnified, like looking through a cheap plastic magnifying lens and it's not implemented very well either. I've never tried the sort of loupes that videographers use, but I doubt that they'd be happy with the Hoodman I have.

What else can a loupe do other than 'simply magnify' the LCD screen? What's different about the ones that videographers use? I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand what more a loupe could do :)

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I think it depends on what you're comparing to and what your use is? I don't think it's a replacement for a good EVF in most instances, but ean10775's use for it is ideal - as a replacement for an EVF only when you are using your camera in such a way that you don't have access to an EVF (ie, like using a Pen camera with hotshoe flash or trigger, or while video recording with an external microphone plugged into the accessory mic jack).

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
What else can a loupe do other than 'simply magnify' the LCD screen? What's different about the ones that videographers use? I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand what more a loupe could do :)

I understand that, but I think the implementation is crap. I'm sure that there must be better ways to make it work, so that the screen is covered (the visual side, not the mechanical) in a better way and that the way it's magnified is more subtle. The real intent of the hood is so that you don't have extraneous light interfering with your view of the screen, not to magnify the pixels so that you end up looking at something akin to this:

screen2.jpg

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been tempted for my GM1 when I want to shoot in bright daylight, but if I'm going to carry the bulk of a loupe, I'll probably just grab my Nikon.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I've been tempted for my GM1 when I want to shoot in bright daylight, but if I'm going to carry the bulk of a loupe, I'll probably just grab my Nikon.

Exactly. I'm sure loupes work. But, with the exception of certain limited applications, I have to think that they kind of defeat the purpose of having a smaller micro four-thirds camera.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Exactly. I'm sure loupes work. But, with the exception of certain limited applications, I have to think that they kind of defeat the purpose of having a smaller micro four-thirds camera.

Exactly. If you want an EVF, get a camera that has one. Don't get a tiny camera and bolt the Hoodman (which I have and liked to use with my DLSRs) on the back.

Geemone

Mu-43 Regular
Exactly. If you want an EVF, get a camera that has one. Don't get a tiny camera and bolt the Hoodman (which I have and liked to use with my DLSRs) on the back.

I don't think you can just generalize it like that... .

I use my GM1 without a lupe as my everyday camera with lenses upt to 45mm, which works in most situations (here in Germany the sun isr not so prominent as for example in Arizona...), which makes it very compact, of course. Most of the times I don't miss an EVF.

But I also use my GM1 with long lenses such as the Panasonic 100-300 for wildlife photography, or with a 75mm lens for macro, etc. In that case I mostly use my LCD hood with gives me a much better view than with any other EVF I know.
I know, it's a little bulky compared to the tiny GM1 but by no means awkward to handle or too heavy to carry it with me (which I only do when I know THAT I will use it). Some of those times, I also carry a pistol grip or shoulder brace with me if I don't want to use a tripod - which would be even more clumsy and heavier.

So to me, the GM1 is a very versatile camera that can be very small and pocketable on one hand but also be converted to a great EVF camera if needed.

I was thinking of getting a GX7 oder other camera with EVF as a second body but decided to buy a second GM1 body instead. This way if I go out using my long lenses, I can leave one body attached to my telephoto setup and have the other body equipped with the 14mm or 45mm for other shots that might come up. I'm a happy camper... :smile:

Here's a picture of my LCD lupe attached:

P1000660.jpg

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle

Chromatic abberation, distortions like barrel distortion ... look through good binoculars and then through plastic toys at a toy shop.

Then there is the issue that the rear screen was designed to be viewed as a particular visual size, using a magnifying glass only breaks it up into its visible pixels faster, it does not make it simply bigger. Its for this reason that Mac make their retina displays, so the myopic can stick their face right up to it and not see pixels yet.

15164658252_c2fa922949_b.jpg

EVFs have more pixels (usually 1024x768 vs 800x600 on rear screens) so they can appear larger without breakup.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme

Chromatic abberation, distortions like barrel distortion ... look through good binoculars and then through plastic toys at a toy shop.

Then there is the issue that the rear screen was designed to be viewed as a particular visual size, using a magnifying glass only breaks it up into its visible pixels faster, it does not make it simply bigger. Its for this reason that Mac make their retina displays, so the myopic can stick their face right up to it and not see pixels yet.

EVFs have more pixels (usually 1024x768 vs 800x600 on rear screens) so they can appear larger without breakup.

I understand that an EVF is probably better, but what do "the sort of loupes that videographers use" do differently to the Hoodman? Do they not "simply magnify" the view, and therefore have most of the same issues?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I understand that an EVF is probably better, but what do "the sort of loupes that videographers use" do differently to the Hoodman? Do they not "simply magnify" the view, and therefore have most of the same issues?

I believe that the loupes used by videographers are of much higher quality, and a much higher price; so they cover the LCD a lot better, with little distortion and other effects.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle

Did you not spot the explanation of chromatic ab and other abberations? If you don't know what that means then ask but don't just quote me and restate your question.

Anyway the GM has more pixel density on the back than a EP1, so it will look less pixelated. I subsequently posted an image to attempt to clear that up, but do ask more specific questions if you have them :)

Geemone

Mu-43 Regular
If those lupes were so bad, why do most pros use them then for video, etc. ... ?:thumbup:

Anyway, if some people don't like the idea of using such a hood on the GM1, why then post here in the first place and not stick to your bulky EM-1s and the likes... ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom