1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hood overview somewhere?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by johnvanr, Feb 20, 2013.

1. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm new to Olympus micro 4/3, but I've quickly fallen in love and bought a bunch of lenses. I need hoods for all of them.

So, I'm looking for hoods for the 12mm, the 45mm, the 75mm and the 12-50, 14-150, 40-150 (don't ask...).

Is there a place to find good alternatives to the ridiculously expensive Olympus hoods?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    You can buy cheap (inexpensive?) and go to someplace like rainbowimaging.biz, or buy the best from Olympus (I think). Doesn't it seem odd to you (like it does to many of us) that Oly doesn't provide hoods with their lenses?

--- Edit ---
    John here are a couple shots of two new hoods I just received from RainbowImaging. The narrower one screws on in the filter ring, and the larger one bayonets onto the concealed bayonet ring on the front of the lens. Both are for the Oly 45mm f/1.8.

P2230007a2_zpsd37cfcba.

P2230004a2_zps18f94f0a.

Interestingly the larger one helps the camera (E-PL5) sit level on a flat surface. I don't yet have a good cap for the larger hood (and its inside surface doesn't feel very accommodating of a cap with internal grippers).

The narrower one came with a very cheap-looking (but functional) lens cap to fit, that you can slide under the hood to achieve the same camera posture/stability.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Here's another from RainbowImaging, this time for the 75mm f/1.8. It is a screw-in hood, and this time on the OM-D (obviously). In my opinion, this one suffers a little from thread mismatch, but I don't know whether to cite the hood or the filter it is screwed into (I didn't try removing the filter since I don't have a cap that I know will fit this hood).

P2230017a2_zps70a4302e.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In addition to RainbowImaging, there's JJC. Both sell via Amazon.