1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hood options for Oly 17mm 1.8?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Trego, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Trego

Trego Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    I don't go hood - less for the sake of protection, and wondered what options there are out there for the Oly 17mm 1.8 besides the Official Oly and JJC?

Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Go to Ebay and type in "olympus 17mm 1.8 hood" and you will see your options. Personally I use the JJC one which works great. Can't imagine the authentic Oly one is better then it.

3. Trego

Trego Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Thanks for the reply!

Is anybody using any others?

4. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I started using step up rings. They are cheap, they are not too big, and they get dinged up instead of my lens or element. Technically not a hood though. I have a 46-49 + 49-52 on my 17mm f1.8 almost permanently.

5. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Also interchangle between lenses :)

6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I use a simple step down ring also (46 to 37?), as I'm just looking for a little protection for the front element, not full protection from light and flare. same on my 45mm, just a smaller one.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I but the cheapest filters I can, then take out the filter and just use the rings. It recesses the front element, protects the lens' filter threads and lets me use the stock lens cap.

8. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    The JJC is nice, but the Olympus is actually nicer. It's a piece of art, really - and worth the cost. Your mileage may vary.

9. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Very much agree with this. The Olympus lens hoods for the 17mm and the 75mm are something else. All metal with chrome tightening screws. The hood for my 17mm was delivered with the packaging smashed and squashed. Looks like they put it between cement blocks. The metal hood itself was perfect and undamaged. A JJC plastic lens hood would have been nothing but smashed up bits.

10. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    The JJC hood for the 17mm lens is also all metal with chrome tightening screws, and matte black on the inside, for half the price. I have compared both the Authentic Olympus hood vs the JJC hood side by side, and honestly I couldn't tell which is which without looking at the logos.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I had not looked this up since their other hoods were plastic. Guess I'm mistaken. But I'm happy with my Olympus lens hood.

12. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    That works.

• Like Like x 1