1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hood for Panasonic 14mm lens (Filter ring)?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sLorenzi, May 14, 2012.

1. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I found this site Micro 4/3rds Photography: Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 where the guy states that a glassless filter would be used as a hood for the Panny 14mm. It sounds interesting, since the size of the lens will be almost unaffected, but I'm wondering if it will provide enough protection against flare and ghosting. Anyone have tried it yet? Thanks.

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Never tried it personally, but I've also seen a variation of that idea but using a couple of step up rings instead.

• Like Like x 1
  3. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    When I had my 14, I found a simple, collapsible rubber hood for $5, worked fine for me.

The only issue I had was when I did HDRs. For some reason, I would get a wider view on the HDR than the straight shot, which would cause some vignetting from the hood. Very strange, since that only happened with this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Here you can find pictures of very compact wide angle lens hood which I found on e-bay:

My first native prime has arrived !!! - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

It comes with 52mm lens cap and I am preferring it over vented hood which is definitively more bulky. Roughly it would be equivalent of 2-3 stacked filter rims. It is working fine for me, but some people will still prefer deep shade of vented hood ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Thanks guys. What interested me in this idea was how little the lens size would be altered.

Livnius, this should be interesting too, but the problem AFAIK, is the need of another lens cap, since the thread size will be larger.

guzziknight, I have used rubber hoods in other lenses, but I particularly don't like them very much.

garfield_cz, this is an interesting option. I'll search ebay for it.

6. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I use a 46mm to 37mm step-down ring on both my Pana 14mm and Pana 20mm lenses. I don't notice any vignetting on either and they are both lower profile and give a decent level of protection.

I ended up buying a pair of 37mm lens caps for like $4 on eBay. So in the bag, they have lens caps, but when each is on the camera, none as the step-down ring is pretty good protection.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi Jon.

Sounds like a very simple and compact option regarding protecting the front glass element...and cheap !

....but has it been effective in your opinion wrt cutting out stray light, flare, improved contrast etc ?