1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hood for Oly 40-150 F2.8?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GRID, Jan 29, 2015.

1. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Anyone know if there is any replacement hood for the 40-150 F2.8 yet?
    I´m not concerned about the size so i dont need the retractable funktion so i´m looking for a one peace solid hood.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Maybe a 72mm threaded hood?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    EBay has tons of metal lens hoods that would suit and they cost very little.

4. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I was thinking of one that dosnt use the filtertreads, but maybe that´s tha only way to go for now.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There are some hoods available where the mount screws into the filter thread, but the hood itself is a bayonet. This way it sort of becomes a universal bayonet hood. Those hoods I think are plastic.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    You could get another Olympus hood and glue it always open...

...why wouldn't you want the retractable hood though?

7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    It´s not completely "solid" when extracted, so i dont get a 100% nice feeling from it, and i want to put some stickers on it
    and then it would be nice to have the original in mint condition.

8. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah i saw thouse, but they all seem to be "tulip" hoods, and i´m not sure how they work with filters on them.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have seen some that are of the normal type, as I was considering getting one for my 35-100mm, as the Olympus one is getting fairly loose. I did a quick check, but couldn't spot the ones I saw earlier. Also, The adapter has a same sized screw thread, so that filters screw into that.

10. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I´ve ordered a few cheap ones from ebay now to test out, thx for the help.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I too have the same problem with my 35-100mm, I originally thought it was the hood wearing out and bought a new one however on closer inspection it was actually the bayonet is wearing out. What I've done as a temporary measure is built up a layer of nail polish to remake the small nubs that the hood catches on(they wear down after a few thousand uses) and put a very thin layer of liquid electrical tape on the hood itself to increase friction.

Between both the hood on mine is much improved however I have been thinking about sending it in to Olympus and having the bayonet replaced all the same.

B+H had the hood for a pretty reasonable price, I suspect they have a few in stock which they cannot move due to lack of demand.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486401-REG/Olympus_260029_LH_82_Lens_Hood.html

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's good to know, as I too thought it was the hood, will have to investigate. I saw the B&H listing, but when I the checked shipping cost, I nearly choked.