Hood for Oly 40-150 F2.8?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GRID, Jan 29, 2015.

1. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Anyone know if there is any replacement hood for the 40-150 F2.8 yet?
    I´m not concerned about the size so i dont need the retractable funktion so i´m looking for a one peace solid hood.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Maybe a 72mm threaded hood?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    EBay has tons of metal lens hoods that would suit and they cost very little.

4. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I was thinking of one that dosnt use the filtertreads, but maybe that´s tha only way to go for now.

5. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There are some hoods available where the mount screws into the filter thread, but the hood itself is a bayonet. This way it sort of becomes a universal bayonet hood. Those hoods I think are plastic.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    You could get another Olympus hood and glue it always open...

...why wouldn't you want the retractable hood though?

7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    It´s not completely "solid" when extracted, so i dont get a 100% nice feeling from it, and i want to put some stickers on it
    and then it would be nice to have the original in mint condition.

8. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah i saw thouse, but they all seem to be "tulip" hoods, and i´m not sure how they work with filters on them.

9. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have seen some that are of the normal type, as I was considering getting one for my 35-100mm, as the Olympus one is getting fairly loose. I did a quick check, but couldn't spot the ones I saw earlier. Also, The adapter has a same sized screw thread, so that filters screw into that.

10. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I´ve ordered a few cheap ones from ebay now to test out, thx for the help.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I too have the same problem with my 35-100mm, I originally thought it was the hood wearing out and bought a new one however on closer inspection it was actually the bayonet is wearing out. What I've done as a temporary measure is built up a layer of nail polish to remake the small nubs that the hood catches on(they wear down after a few thousand uses) and put a very thin layer of liquid electrical tape on the hood itself to increase friction.

Between both the hood on mine is much improved however I have been thinking about sending it in to Olympus and having the bayonet replaced all the same.

B+H had the hood for a pretty reasonable price, I suspect they have a few in stock which they cannot move due to lack of demand.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486401-REG/Olympus_260029_LH_82_Lens_Hood.html

12. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's good to know, as I too thought it was the hood, will have to investigate. I saw the B&H listing, but when I the checked shipping cost, I nearly choked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.