Hood for M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II

PeteS

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pete Staehling
I just got the Vello hood today. The fit is perfect. It actually seems to be a better fit than the real Olympus hoods I have for other lenses. It reverses nicely for stowing in the bag.

I am happy with it, especially for the price.

BTW, it is huge. I don't have an Olympus one to compare to but I am guessing they are likely the same size.

Real Name
Walter
One alternative is to get a relatively short screw-in hood, like @MichailK, and leave it screwed in. That's what my friend does. He mounts a short screw-in hood on all his lenses and foregoes the lens cap. He stores the lenses that way. So, when he grabs the lens for a fast switch, he doesn't have to worry about the lens cap and can deploy more quickly. Yes, the hood does not provide as much shading as a longer hood, but I guess it's enough for him and facilitates his fast lens changes.

Real Name
Walter
I have an Olympus LH-61E (which I'm pretty sure I got with my old 4/3 70-300 Oly lens back in the DSLR days). It reverses on the 75-300 fine. But be aware that it is ENORMOUS! We think of the 75-300 as being relatively small, but it is telling that the "official" hood for it is the same old one that used to be for the Oly DSLR 70-300. I seldom use it, using a Sensei 3-in-one rubber hood (model LHR2-T58) instead:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388614-REG/sensei_lhr2_t58_58mm_3_in_1_rubber_lens.html

The one I have seems to be an earlier model (LHR-T58) that came with a 55mm cap for the inside of the rubber hood. The new one seems to have the same 58mm attachment threads and lens cap size, which is better (i.e. you can use the cap that comes with the 75-300).
Enormous? Ha! It's nothing like the OEM hood for the 50-200 SWD. That was so big that the "champagne bucket" moniker was perfectly apt!

I checked with my friend who has the 75-300 and bought the JJC hood. He said the hood fits pretty closely around the lens in the reversed position, and he feels that it is not oversize at all. OTOH, the lens hood for the 50-200 SWD is seriously ginormous. :)

Last edited:

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A quick and possibly stupid (forgive my ignorance) variation of the original question - about lens hoods for the Olympus 75-300 vII lens (which I have just purchase a lightly-used copy of)---

According to factor specs, the lens has a 58mm front filter size.

Does this mean that ANY lens hood with a 58mm thread size will screw-into the 75-300 - and work with it?

If so, I'm considering buying an inexpensive older lens hood which fits 58mm (either a plastic Tamron or a metal Pentax) and using it on the lens.

Opinions and advice would be appreciated.

Real Name
Walter
A quick and possibly stupid (forgive my ignorance) variation of the original question - about lens hoods for the Olympus 75-300 vII lens (which I have just purchase a lightly-used copy of)---

According to factor specs, the lens has a 58mm front filter size.

Does this mean that ANY lens hood with a 58mm thread size will screw-into the 75-300 - and work with it?

If so, I'm considering buying an inexpensive older lens hood which fits 58mm (either a plastic Tamron or a metal Pentax) and using it on the lens.

Opinions and advice would be appreciated.
Yes, any 58mm screw-in hood should fit. You just have to watch how long or narrow it is, so it won't vignette at 75mm. Lots of generic third-party ones available. Some undoubtedly won't reverse to fit over the lens when stowing though. Depends on how big their inside diameter is. That's one disadvantage.

As I mentioned before, my friend gets short straight hoods that he leaves on the lens and leaves off the lens cap. The short hood provides some protection (he also puts a UV filter on) and he saves time not worrying about the lens cap.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
This is true as long as you mean screw-in and not diameter. So if the hood attaches to the lens just like a filter does, it should work (except for any vignetting issues).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom