Hood + Filter for 20mm Pancake lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Thanos, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Thanos

Thanos New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi everyone, new to the forums and the world of :43: :biggrin:

I'm planning on purchasing a UV filter and lens hood for my Pancake lens. Just wondering, if both items are 46mm, would they both fit onto the lens? Or do I need to get a larger sized filter? I'm just confused with how both items can be installed at the same time when they have the same sizes. Thanks in advance.
  2. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Hello Thanos and welcome!

A 46mm filter is designed to fit a 46mm filter thread so both lens hood and filter need to be 46mm to fit together. I have done exactly what you intend to do with my 20mm lens and both filter and hood are 46mm threaded. Hope this is clear kinda reads like mud to me but can't really seem to make it any clearer...

3. Thanos

Thanos New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hey Jeff, thanks for the quick reply!
    Your post has been very helpful and I'm now in the process of ordering my new accessories. Actually, this is the 2nd time you've helped me as I saw photos of your vented lens hood on a different thread, and that's how I got the idea to spring for the same lens hood. So, double thanks for your help.:2thumbs:

4. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    I have a B+W UV filter on my 20mm lens. I've been thinking about also getting a lens hood to use in bright lighting conditions. What lens hood are you looking at? I have a saved search on ebay for a lens hood from a seller named darkstar who has a 46mm lens hood for wide-angle lenses that I saw recommended once, but I've yet to see another one for sale.
  5. Thanos

Thanos New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi travisennis, I just bought this hood: For G1 GF1 GH1 20mm lens 46mm metal vented Lens Hood on eBay.ca (item 150453138730 end time 03-Feb-11 07:45:05 EST)

I originally saw Jeff's photos and made the decision to buy the same one. Thread here: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/lens-hood-pancake-5677/

6. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    You may also find that if you have a hood you don't want or need the protection filter. Without opening the age old debate (I hate the idea of a layer of cheaper glass in front of a carefully designed optical formula) the hood should prevent anything hitting the front element.

Also, I've found (for what it is worth) the 20 seems pretty good at controlling flare without a hood - I guess it was designed not to be used with one. I only use a hood (some of the time) for physical protection.
  7. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I found a small round 46mm hood that works great.
    I don't use a filter on this lens though...
    See LINK
    Works great
    Heavystar has a lot stuff you may want save him as a favorite seller....
    great reputation with many RF users. like myself
  8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    have you guys found it to be a good working hood? I seem to be noticing far amount of flare at times and was wondering about getting a hood.
  10. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Mine works great! Saved my lens from a few nasty dings too.

Your doubley welcome!
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have noticed it helps reduce flare when I aim in the general direction of the sun.

And I concur with the protection - I have had lenses saved from hits thanks to lens hoods before.
  12. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    There are lots of small 46mm hoods built for Leica, Contax, etc., lenses that should work perfectly well with the 14mm and 20mm Panasonic pancakes. They range in price and build quality, of course, but most aren't too expensive.