1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Honeymoon and clueless

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jjustind, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jjustind

jjustind New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    Hello everyone,

My honeymoon is coming up and we're off to Jeju Island, South Korea. Long story short, I shoot a lot of street candids here in Seoul. But when it comes to land/sea/mountain scapes, I haven't the slightest idea how to approach them at all. :confused:

So I beseech those with experience, or really, everyone here. What are your best practices for landscapes and seascapes?

My lens selection is as follows:

M. Zuiko:

40-150
    14-42 mk1
    17mm
    9-18
    45mm 1.8

My first thought is to simply stick to the 9-18 for sea/mountain scapes...but I would certainly take suggestions to the contrary.

Thoughts?

2. niva_explorer_photo

niva_explorer_photo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2011
    England
    Hi,

Take the telephoto zoom lens as well, in landscape we try to take everything we see but it is in the details where the nice stuff is, you can capture details of mountain peaks, parts of buildings, etc...

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Congratulations on your marriage. I agree that you'll want to be able to crop and isolate in-camera certain landscape features, for which you'll want the tele-zoom. If you only take the wide angle, you're going to vastly limit yourself to that perspective, which can get boring after a while.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

Are you unable to bring all of your lenses?

Loaded question regards focal length, landscape / seascape shooters have a wide range in their preferences where FL / FOV are concerned. Some folks prefer a WA view always, while others lean toward a slice of the pie with more focal length.

You can simply leave the kit lens at home, bring the rest..

Do you live in Korea, or did you choose Jeju Island for another reason?

Will your new bride be wearing Hanbok for the wedding?

Alan

5. jjustind

jjustind New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    Hello all, thanks for the interest in my conundrum.

First, I do indeed live in Korea. My fiance is a native here, which is why we chose to go to Jeju. As it is, we're doing a traditional Korean wedding, so that should prove to be interesting photographically in and of itself. Our parents will be wearing traditional Hanboks as well. If you've been in Seoul before, we've picked the Korea House in Chungmuro as our venue.

As for my lenses, I plan on bringing my full kit. I have a nice little bag to take everything. I've never been to Jeju, though her job sends here there rather often. She loves it, so this was a natural choice.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    LOL I had to laugh at the title of this thread. I thought you wanted advice about, well . . . . honeymoon stuff.

Didn't seem appropriate for a family forum.

7. jjustind

jjustind New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    I...

yeah.

I should have put a bit more thought into that subject heading. :eek:

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A very nice location. Congratulations and Best Wishes to you and the bride.

Gary

PS- A couple things to keep in mind, try not to place the horizon line in the middle of the photograph. Put it a third from the bottom or top. Using a prominent foreground object (i.e. a tree or branches) is useful as a framing technique. (But don't frame every image with a tree branch ... break it up.) A tripod for landscapes will allow time-exposures for a completely different feel and look (and it will allow you to run into the shot and be near your bride.)
    G

• Like Like x 1
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... there are other forums on the internet for this type of information ... (and I think they may even have instruction videos ... I really don't know that's just what I've been told.)

G

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Well the subject heading was slightly misleading..

While I've never been there, Jeju is supposed to be a spectacularly beautiful location.

Which ever lenses you happen to take along, I'd love to see some images from the wedding, and Jeju Island.

Congratulations and good luck!

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  11. jjustind

jjustind New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    I'll most certainly post some shots of the wedding after the fact. Of course, I'll be the one on the business end of things for once. >.< For that, I apologize in advance.

I appreciate all of the help so far! For what its worth, last December the lady and I took a trip down to the little island of Namhae. I tried a few seascapes that I was never extremely happy with:

Namhae County - a set on Flickr

I appreciate any thoughts that may be had about the shots. ^^

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I definitely echo Gary's suggestions of Rule of Thirds composition and having something of interest in the frame in addition to the landscape or seascape.

Also when placing yourself and your bride in the photo, please also DO NOT center yourselves. Congrats and Good luck!