@Home Weekly Photo Challenge

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Taken today
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Darek

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Darek
Although it still stands, it's just the trunk / no branches - so in fact wood, not tree.

Santa

Super Moderator
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Sliding closet doors

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Darek
Same here 🙂

These are spike holes in my patio chairs. The holes were created over 100 years ago when a train trestle, the Lucin Cutoff, was built over an arm of the Great Salt Lake. The trestle was abandoned in the early 60's and the wood was recycled in the mid 90's. I purchased some of the wood and built the chairs in 1999. The wood that I used is redwood, and it was decking that covered the trestle.

https://www.trestlewood.com/page/1020/trestlewood-story

EM124154-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

EM124155-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

EM124157-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Walter

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After spending quite a few weeks designing , building and installing these I was glad to see the call for wood texture although there isn't a lot of texture because I sanded the diddile out of it: ).

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had enough scrapes left over to make a new record cabinet.

And
they asked for a new small table.

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Walter
A beautiful secretary made by my great-great-grandfather. Cherry and pear from his own orchard.
He was a miller, but this beauty shows his real vocation: as often as he could he would go to his best friend who was a carpenter and would make his dreams come true. Only the 3mm thick inlays were made by his carpenter friend since for that you must know exactly how wood "works". But he made all the woodturning and enbellishments himself. You can fold down the front side of the drawer.
P1026467.JPG
PA204433.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
A beautiful secretary made by my great-great-grandfather. Cherry and pear from his own orchard.
If your region of Germany is like Mostviertel in Austria, the pear trees are simply amazing, and the quantity of wood in a single of those trees is huge.
Do you still have orchards in your family?

The other thing we have to appreciate here is if this was made by your great-great-grandfather, most likely he didn't have any electric tools, so this beauty was entirely made by hand with manual tools!

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Walter
If your region of Germany is like Mostviertel in Austria, the pear trees are simply amazing, and the quantity of wood in a single of those trees is huge.
Do you still have orchards in your family?

The other thing we have to appreciate here is if this was made by your great-great-grandfather, most likely he didn't have any electric tools, so this beauty was entirely made by hand with manual tools!
Sadly neither my brother nor me live in our home village any more, the grounds with the orchard have been sold. You have to move where the job is.
The pear trees were amazing, and there was a good variety, too. You're quite right Claude, there were no electric tools involved. The wood-turning machine was driven with the water of the same brook as the mill.

Santa

Super Moderator
Real Name
Tom Staggs
I sure am envious of all the wonderful furniture and cabinets y’all are building. The grain in those cabinets is beautiful. I wanted to make sure the Southern Trees got their due so here are a few extra photos of the texture of the trees in my side yard.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
Sadly neither my brother nor me live in our home village any more, the grounds with the orchard have been sold. You have to move where the job is.
The pear trees were amazing, and there was a good variety, too. You're quite right Claude, there were no electric tools involved. The wood-turning machine was driven with the water of the same brook as the mill.
To continue on the subject of pear trees, here is a shot taken a few years ago of a beautiful specimen, near Amstetten in the heart of Mostviertel, Austria. Estimated age between 250 and 300 years...

It had a crop of easily between one and two tons of pears. See enlarged view:

These are perry pears, and considering the height of the trees, there is no question of picking them... You collect them on the ground as they fall. Fortunately, perry pears are very hard - Bartlett pears would simply explode hitting the ground from such a height.

Perry pears are very astringent and almost inedible, but may be used to make a fine drink (perry), aka birnenwein in Germany, or most in Austria (hence the name of the perry making region of Austria, Mostviertel...)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom