1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Home made weather sealing

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RaZZ3R, Jun 5, 2012.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Last night when I was shooting some lightining I got cut into a flash ice rain but I managed to get to cover in time but then I saw that my Panny G2 was a little wet, mostly, on the lens barrow and when I started to clean the water I saw that some water driped at the lens mount and when I got the lens off (just to be shore I keep the camera with the lens point downword (I case some water was there it wouldnt fall on to the senzor)) I found that some water was on the lens mount, even close to the electronic contacts. Luckely my camera survived, for now, but makes me wish for my old (and now dead) Pentax K200D in this situations.

Now to the subject: I was wondering if I could stick (with glue) a small ruber or ruber like (essentialy anything water repelant) on the lens mount, something like the stantard weather sealed lens have, for a minimum of protection at least for the sensor and electronic contacts.

2. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
  3. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Maybe a thick rubber band around the base of the lens and mount ? That would form a decent seal.

Would only work if the manual focus ring wasn't required and it'd be pointless on a zoom where there are more moving bits (or get the new weatherproof Zuiko zoom).

Probably fine for the primes though.

A quick google and I found these guys

- LensCoat

I suspect you could make your own neoprene cover that overlapped at the mount and even protected some other body elements while still allowing you to shoot.

5. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Wich of the 4/3 lenses are weather sealed, I woldn't mind for slow AF. The only thing keeping me from going back to Pentax is the really good portability of the M4/3 system and now that we have a sealed camera only some few (actually usefull) weather sealed lenses would make it perfect for me.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, nothing will fit between the camera side mount and the lens. You could use an o-ring by milling a groove into the lens mount, but that doesn't seem practical. The mount may not be thick enough. You need to have a milling machine. No chips in the lens. Sending it out to a machine shop would be very expensive.

Fred

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If you shoot in the rain a lot I think it makes sense to invest in a true "weather-proof" system. If not, maybe just grab a waterproof point & shoot option so you can get some shots no matter the weather.

8. pczoide

pczoide Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    Montréal QC
    Or you could try this :biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IA-VX2B6Vns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The new Olympus 12-50mm is weather sealed. I don't know of any others, yet. Hopefully there will be more soon.

10. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Yet there are the bigger boys (Four Thirds) that are weather sealed and can be used with the MMF-3 adaptor (wich is weather sealed as well) even thou there may be slow to AF or at all. My only other option is to go back to Pentax system because Olympus Four Thirs isnt all that smaller then Pentax K-5 with the pancake lenses, and I'm loving my Panasonic G2 to much (even with the dissapointing ISO performance).

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very true. In the end we each need to use the gear that works best for us. I don't worry much about weather sealing, but others need it for the type of shooting they do.

12. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    While it would need re-application with every lens change, you could use automotive dielectric grease on the flange and contacts.

13. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Actualy thats brilliant since it wont rain all the time, untile I get more weather sealed lenses and Olympus and Panasonic gives us a more weather sealed M4/3 options (just 3 for now :mad:)

14. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    the following 4/3 are weather sealed.

50mm f2 macro
    14-54 Mk2
    50-200 Mk1 and SWD
    12-60 SWD

you could see if someone is parting the 12-50 kit lens that is m4/3. then you need to cover the body, maybe the old standby of the clear shower cap?

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No grease or lubricant is ever supposed to put on the lens/body mount or the electronic contacts. The contacts are gold plated and exert very little pressure; any sort of grease would goo everything up.

Before replying with any sort of It will work because..., put that stuff on your gear, try it out for a week and tell us how it works.:dash2:

When that stuff migrates to the sensor, or some other component that doesn't work well with grease, are you going to tell him to spray it down with brake cleaner?

• Like Like x 1