Homage To Hitchcock's Birds

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by StudioHeraBell, Apr 8, 2011.

• Like Like x 8
  1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm not at all into that kind of art, but I'm really impressed by your skill.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Hera, would need to start investigating desktop publishing tools like InDesign. This will give you better control over things like this. Photoshop is OK, but it is clunky and you are stuck with a fixed raster artboard.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I like this homage!

"The Birds" is one of my favorite movies. I saw it at a drive-in as a kid.

The next morning there was a dead bird on the roof outside of my window.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hi,

Can you be more clear in your comment "fixed raster artboard"? What did you mean? My English is poor and I truly want to undrestand the meaning of your comment.

Thanks.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    A photograph is a raster image--made of pixels. When you bring two images together, the pixels need to match. So when you shrink or enlarge one image with another, the pixel resolution must change so they match. With layout and design software, that conversion does not need to take place so you can use all the composite images at their native resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ok I get it now thanks.

When I upgrade to CS5 I'll look into it. I have to learn it first then switch. I live in a very fast paste image editing turnover. I shy away to jump adopting new programs unless I know them inside out.

The original NY shot and the model have not been resized when I stiched them. The birds yes. The model was taken out from the studio shot as she was shot in that pixel size.

Do you see such pixel discrepency? I am curious. I want to learn more about your comment.

Thanks.

7. Somebody told me it isn't Hitchcock but much like the movie "The Crow"... What do you think?

I guess I wasn't emulating or copycating Hitchcock's B&W's, nor depicting the small village (not a metropolis) where the birds have invaded.

It is amazing how everyone can see something else in one image. This is facinating. This why I like hearing opinions. It truly helps me.

Thanks.

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Cool idea but you need more birds. I like your imagination at work here and will check out your blog. Funny, I am going to see a special showing of "The Birds" next week with a presentation and talk by one of it's stars Tippi Hendren.

• Like Like x 2
  9. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    Very nice image.

My only comment is that the model looks like shes just painted on there. To make her part of the scene she should have some perspective, with her head slightly vanishing away from the camera.

But it's very striking, cool.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Lisa,

Tell Tippi I'm still in love with her......:redface:

What a cool thing to have on the your schedule!

11. I guess in trying to create a certain movie poster like shot, I ended up maybe going to far in my imagination.

12. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree with John... perhaps having the model from a perspective that was more erect like the buildings would reduce the pasted in feeling. Keep trying the best Photoshop skills take lots of practice.

13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I think it does well as a concept shot. She is not trying to make it seem realistic.

14. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I like the idea of the blond lady peering from above. The viewer is in the claustrophobic situation of being buried in the ground inside a glass coffin - maybe the link to "the crow" aforementioned. It adds to the "hitchcock" thrilling effect.
    Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  15. @ Mauve: WOW, amazing who is seeing what. I LOVE it.

This is the reason I share my images with all of you. To hear what you think, good or bad, positive or negative.

16. I have a brand new infrared shot done with my Lumix G1. But there is a small problem to add the actual shot here, in the shot there is a semi nude female which is only a small part of the shot. You see only one breast. No other nudity.

But I can add the link, and with the warning sign you can visit it to your own risk. It is very artistic and tastefully created. If I am off base, we'll deleate the link. Just let me know.

My Photo Ramblings: Digital Infrared With Panasonic Lumix G1

17. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm not so sure inDesign would help with a collage. The program is more for print and layouts and it's editing functions are very limited. With Photoshop, you would just scale all images down to the element with the least resolution to ensure you aren't upscaling any images to create pixelation. I don't think there is much inDesign can do in this situation that Photoshop can't do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hera,

I think it's fine. The image isn't hanging in the thread where one might stumble upon it unaware, there's a link, and a warning when one clicks the link..

It's fine by standards as far as I'm concerned.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  19. I looked at the program, I thought the same thing. Then I said what do I know... I am in no where close to teach Photoshop or any other design program to anyone. I just do anything to acheive what I want in the final image.

The old darkroom mind still is there with me when I edit my images. Mask things under the enlarger and expopse others over it. PS is faster and less painful and more accurate.