Holy **** I just weighed the Nokton 17.5mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Keith, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Arrived in the mail today in a very large box from Mainlinephoto ... thanks Scott! :smile:

When I unpacked it I was a little gobsmacked at the weight and went off and got some scales. It weighs very close to the combined weight of the body, battery grip and two batteries and actually weighs more than the 35mm f1.2 Nokton rangefinder lens and that's always been regarded as quite a lump!

I can't help but wonder why Cosina have made the thing out of what must be near solid brass when other manufacturers are making their lenses very light for this format. My PanaLeica 25mm is an absolute feather by comparison.

The combined weight of the camera and lens is just over a kilo! :eek:
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Pretty great lens by all reports though....and judging by your posts thus far Keith I'm really looking forward to seeing your work with it.

Just a heads up....keep your eyes peeled to see if anything eventuates from the recent rumour which suggested Panasonic has gone into bed with Leica again to produce a 17.5 f1.4 'lux sibling to the PL25 f1.4 !!! If that happens I would expect Nok17 prices to take a hit.
  3. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012

If that ever happens I'll be the first in line!

I love my 25mm. :smile:
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think the construction of the 17.5/0.95 is different from any of the other Cosina Voigtlander lenses. This is simply the way they do it, just like they don't support AF or autodiaphragm.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Right behind you!

The 25/1.4 is very likely a next purchase, but a 17.5/1.4 would come first...
  6. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    I was thinking about what Livnius was saying ... about the Nokton taking a potential price hit if this new PanaLeica 17mm becomes reality.

There's something about sub f1.0 lenses that makes them unique so it may not be the case. In Leica RF land the 50mm Summilux is probably the pick of the 50s but the Noctilux just keeps climbing in value and is still the 50mm lens that a lot aspire to ... whether they actually need it or not!
  7. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    Me too! I'd love a great 35mm! I may even get that over a good upgrade to the 14mm which I'm slightly holding out for.
  8. TDP

TDP Guest

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Yeah, I rented the 17.5mm and 25mm f/0.95 before buying, and the weight of the 17.5mm was part of what decided me on the 25mm instead. I liked both lenses pretty well, I was already used to 25mm, and it was about 5 ounces lighter which is significant in extended use. The 17.5mm was the first lens I've ever used on m4/3 that actually made my hand tired after a while :biggrin:

That said, I still really liked the lens and if I were independently wealthy and money were no object, I wouldn't mind owning both lenses. I don't break it out all the time but I do love my 25mm f/0.95 when I'm in a manual focus kind of mood.
  10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Jeez...and here I am complaining about the 300g 12-35!

I'm holding out for more info on the upcoming Schneider lenses...hoping they make something in the 17-25 range.
  11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I was thrilled when the CV17.5 first came out, but then I saw the weight and I realized it's not for me even though I prefer wider lenses.

The E-M5 w 12-35 & horizontal grip is about as much as I feel like carrying around town in my hand, I only use a wrist-strap. Maybe with the CV25 instead of 12-35.

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but a PL17.5 would be awesome!
  12. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My secret hope from Schneider is either a 10.5 or a 17.5, if I'm honest. The prospect of a 14 doesn't excite me that much...28mm equivalent is and OK compromise, and I like it in a pancake, but mostly because it's a pancake...
  13. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Coming from an all-video background to now doing some photography, it's somewhat flabbergasting to hear photographers calling a ~1lb lens "heavy." Throwing something like the Voigt 17.5 or a Leica D 14-50 on a GH2 or AF100 is absolute featherlight heaven compared to all those years of ~20lb HDX900's.
  14. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    The 17.5 is IMHO the best lens we have right now in m43, worth every penny and every oz
  15. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Much as I love manual focus glass in certain applications, there's a reason autofocus isn't just a passing fad. It's only 'heavy' relative to the weight of the cameras it's attached to, and I wouldn't want this type of lens to be anything other than what it is - I do love my Zeiss glass, for example. If I could rent the Voigtlander glassware locally to give it a good try-out I'm afraid I might end up significantly poorer due to impulse purchases..
  16. Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    The weight is certainly the ONLY drawback on this lens. I take it pretty much everywhere I go, but my go-to lens for most situations is the PanaLeica 25/1.4.
  17. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Don't pull at my emotions like that! a 17.5 1.4 would be awesome.

The Voigt looks great, but a bit too big for preference.
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I wasthis close to getting the lens couple of times already, but the price, weight, and limited use (for me) due to its MF are the main reasons that I held off purchasing the 17.5/0.95. It is a beautifully-constructed lens though, and I like that FL. If I start doing more videos, I might get it one day...

And if the rumored PL17.5/1.4 is real, I will definitely jump all over it!