holy crap! I almost had a heart attack!

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
I wasn't going to post this, but I figure you guys will all understand!!

On Sunday we came home from grocery shopping. I just had taken so really cute horse photos (the new babies were out for the first time!!) I was balancing the camera and two lenses and myself getting out of the car when something slipped. Oh crap was my first thought, then it hit the ground (our garage is cement) and the shattering sound crushed me to my very soul! Oh no, what just broke?!?!?! I looked and saw the 12-50 roll under the car. I grabbed it and looked. Nothing. There are three tiny scratches by where the cap clips on that's it! The shattering noise was the cap breaking! WHAT?!?!?! The cap!? The little plastic Olympus cover broke off. I put the lens on the camera and shot in all modes, MF, Macro, etc... and it was great! No weird shuttering no noises nothing. I've never felt such relief! We glued the cover on the cap and all is well.

sure this was only maybe a 2' drop, but holy cow I though it was done for! Olympus makes pretty tough stuff! Even a cheaper kit lens can handle a bit of a bump with only a couple small scratches. Just lucky it didn't scratch the element!

Mu-43 Legend
Yup. That would cause a few heart skips! Glad to hear it was all OK.

67DGS

Mu-43 Regular
Glad to here all is well. The last time that hapened to me, as I was changing lenses one kit zoom rolled off a picnic table and hit the concrete below. Didn't come out too well, the lens will no longer zoom. Did give me an excuse to upgrade to a better zoom ;-)

pcnyc

Mu-43 Regular
I understand all too well. I once left a e-pm1 wedged in the hood of a stroller without telling my wife. She extended the hood and it fell right out. at least it was in a camera bag (cover open) so only a corner was dented while it slipped out of the bag during the fall, it still works and no damage to the lens that was on it.

But I wasn't there when it happened so I didn't get the shock. My near-heart attack happened a couple weeks ago. I tried pulling a nex-6 out of my coat's inner pocket, the big rubber eyepiece caught the pocket lining and I lost grip of the camera. The whole thing came flying out into the air like 2 feet in front of me. Instinctively I reached out and tried to catch it, and like you, only thought in my head was "Oh craaaaaaaaa........" and miraculously, I caught it. "...aaap?" I had to sit down for a good 10 minutes to recover from the shock and get my heart rate back to normal.

phew. i shuddered again just typing that.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Glad to hear it's all good.

Had a few of those "thankfully" events and one not so some years ago....

i-hKJhR6d-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

kevwilfoto

Mu-43 Veteran
I accidentally let my 45-175 slip out of my hand once. Only a 6" drop, but then it started rolling down a hill. It could easily have rolled for 200 yards or more, but it stopped after ten feet. Two tiny scratches, almost un-noticeable. Lens still works perfectly.

*phew!!*

Years ago, my Nikon 14-24 wasn't so lucky, four feet onto asphalt and my day was ruined before the sun even came up.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Hate that cracking sound. :3 The lens cap probably helped absorb some of the initial impact shock. A plastic hood would do the same.

I drop lenses and cameras all the time. Most of the time they come out fine, although on rare occasion I really break something. Flash are the ones I'm most cautious about. Those break on me pretty easy (maybe because I get them so hot with the type of shooting I do).

I always travel with my gear carefully packed into a bag though. As soon as I'm done using them, they go right into the bag and don't come out again until I'm ready to use it again (which usually isn't long).

arentol

Mu-43 Veteran
5D2 + Sigma 50mm 3 feet onto a cement sidewalk. Lens was 100% fine. Camera need a $300 repair.

Fortunately I had my 7d with me or that would have been a day of shooting lost.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Glad it turned out ok for you. I had three experiences along that line since I started carrying a camera regularly:

1) scratched the heck out of my GF2 screen when it slipped from my lap in the car and hit the floormats. Since then I've put a screen protector on every camera that doesn't have a swivel screen.

2) Dropped my G3 + 100-300 when the neck lanyard snapped and it went from chest height to the pavement. Lens survived miraculously with just a scuff on the lens hood, but the camera was toast. Bent the mount and it wouldn't focus anymore. Now I use much stronger straps :wink:

3) Once while walking around my 12mm lens rolled out of my jacket pocket and dropped to the pavement. I cringed and my heart sank... but here wasn't a scratch on it other than a tiny ding in the plastic cap. Still no idea how it didn't get damaged, but I just counted my blessings and enjoyed the rest of the day shooting :biggrin:

Real Name
Andrew
Atleast you know your stuff can take a few beatings and it'll work!

I had my share of this a few times. One with my e-p1 + 17mm 2.8. Fell 6 FEET from the top bunk bed (wasnt my fault- a friend of mine accidentally pulled it out of the bed) a dlammed straight into a tiled floor. Battery door opened battery came swoopin out memory card ejected lens detached rolling a few feet away and i got away with just a dent on my e-p1. It worked (and still works) perfectly fine.

The wrecking thought of breaking it (and by someone else no less!) is a heart attack!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

Latest threads

Top Bottom