Holy Cow man .. Look at this :)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    That's an amazing set of shots. Sigma should take note of this, especially since one of the knocks against there cameras is that they are impractical.
  3. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That is an incredible journey to do on a motorcycle and nice pics. I think BMW and Sigma should offer a little sponsorship in support considering the positive light in which they are being portrayed.
  4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    That's something I'd love to do someday. Perhaps after I retire I'd not be too old to do it. Thanks for sharing. :)
  5. Bhupinder2002

Yes .. They should .. If I am with Olympus .. I would sponsor their journey and arm them with few OMDs ..
  6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Forgot to mention, the quality of the photos is really stunning. Perhaps I show get a DP2 too. It's cheap nowadays...
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wow, the "Incredible Journey" human wise and great documentary coverage of the trip.

Thanks for sharing
  8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M

Thanks for the link.
  9. Bhupinder2002

Yes Ian and I am wondering how time we just discuss if the negative side of any gear. We always focus on what it can't do and totally forget what it can do . This couple has inspired me a lot and the more I read and look at pics .. more it motivates me :2thumbs:
  10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    What a remarkable odyssey! Absolutely stunning photography, and wonderful glimpse into the lives of the people of the world! Directionally challenged, I none-to-often miss turning onto the street where I've lived for decades. I'd certainly require a great navigator.
  11. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    The journey of a lifetime- with pictures to match! We should all be so lucky...
  12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    The original DP2 are going for - what? - about $300 these days? The newer DP2 Merrills, however, are in the same price range as the Ricoh GR, which is another camera that can be used like this. Still, if this is the old camera, it just goes to show what can be done.
  13. Bhupinder2002

I know :smile:
  14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Great images and a fantastic adventure. I sure wish that these cameras existed when I used to do my touring. I rode Cairo to Capetown on a bicycle with 2 SLRs, 2 L lenses and 250 rolls of film. What I would have given for a 64GB memory card then.

15. Bhupinder2002

Hi Gordon :smile:
    That would have been fun . Do u have some images from that ride? Please share with us:smile:
  16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    I would love to do that, but lets face it, as an American I wouldn't be welcome in lots of those places, and would be in danger in many of them.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  17. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks so much for posting these links, they are great!

Anybody here see the series 'Long Way Round'? It was about Ewan McGregor and his buddy going round the world on motorcycles. Great series.
  18. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Thanks for the link... very nice journey and pics!
  19. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    wow! amazing images, amazing stories, dream-like-trip!. thanks for the link Bhup!.
  20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

How true Bhupinder,

With the proliferation of afforable cameras on the market today coupled with their automatic features, people can go in a shop, buy a camera turn it on and point and get a result without any need for photographic skill/knowledge.

This ease of production does mean that unfortunately (and in some cases fortunately) it has produced a breed of "photographers" that are very quick to blame their tools for not producing the perfect photo and often this leads to them selling their camera for not meeting their expectations - they then go and buy another based on the latest advertising hype only to discover that the cameras telepathic facility does not work and so will not give them the result they exepct.............all this without human intervention beyond the primaries:
    1. Turn camera on
    2. Look at LCD to see potential image to be captured
    3. Zoom lens where applicable
    4. Press shutter button
    5. Review result and compliment self on being a good photographer or, blame camera for not taking the perfect pricture!

All this is in some ways bad for photography as it means anyone can buy a camera, use it on auto everything and then proclaim they are a professional and charge for their services, on the other hand, the frustration factor also leads to an increasing number of affordable mint condition cameras/lenses that are according to the previous owner "not fit for purpose".

This forum in the early days was predominantly populated by "serious" photographers with varying levels of skill, but all with an understanding of the primary functions of their cameras/lenses etc and posts were more aligned to feedback on pieces of kit and issues relating to them rather than requests such as "what lens should I buy" - I guess the changes in posts reflect the changes in society and attitudes/expectations from equipment.

I also notice that despite the frustration that may be felt from such questions, replies are in the most part polite and constructive which is a true reflection of the patience of members of this site in comparison to others.

My one wish is that people who invest their money in equipment will at least invest time reviewing what they actually need and buy to meet those needs with an understanding that they must comprehend the basics and interact with their camera more, alas, marketing hype negates this and the results and dissapointment of buyers is ever more evident and starting to be seen on this forum!

Sorry to rant on but it is a frustration that is building and I personally love this forum and do not want to see it become like other well know ones!