1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Holy cow! Did anyone else know about these guys?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tanngrisnir3, Dec 7, 2011.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

I just found out about them and if you're lucky enough to live near one of their pickup locations (I live near four), this could be the solution to a LOT of questions about how certain lenses work for individual styles/types of photography.

And, living with a pro Canon shooter like I do, it's good for her, as well, but look at the comparative prices between renting pro gear and basically anything M4/3.

This could be the beginning of a beeyootiful thing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've considered renting to try gear out, but with the costs what they are it always seemed better to buy used and resell if I wasn't thrilled with the item. The added bonus to buying used is an unlimited test drive.

4. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, perhaps, but many of those lenses are simply not to be found for cheap prices as used items (or not found as used items, period), so I consider, say, $45/3 days to test out the Panny 7-14 as a great opportunity to try before I buy.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not really anything in Micro Four-Thirds mount I would need to rent, but this list of Four-Thirds mount items is right up my alley (in the "worth renting" category)!! :D
    Rent Professional Olympus Cameras & Olympus Camera Rentals no deposit

It even includes the AG-AF100 video camera. And of course, there's also lighting equipment...

Thanks for the great resource, tanngrisnir3!

6. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Most assuredly glad I could help!

Say, you seem like someone who'd know something about this: how well do standard 4/3s lenses work on M4/3 bodies with the right adapter? Does the AF still work if, say, it's Panny to Panny?

I've been offered what appears to be a good deal on a used version of this: Panasonic Lens: Zooms - Panasonic 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS Leica D VARIO-ELMAR - SLRgear.com!

But I've now got so many lenses that I haven't experimented with yet that I'm hesitant to go forward with the above until I have a better idea about what is lost (if anything) in the 4/3 to M4/3 'translation'.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Hmm...last I remember only lensrentals had m4/3. Is this a recent addition to borrowlenses' catalog or did I just miss it?

8. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I"ve rented from them twice , and it was a great experience. I don't live close to them so the shipping price is kinda high, but I could not afford to buy the lens anyway. They also sell off used equipment too....

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Autofocus speed is all you lose. It'll autofocus, but slower... For that lens though, you may as well get the Micro Four-Thirds equivalent. A better lens to look for in Four-Thirds would be the Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit. That is a wonderful fast lens which has no Micro Four-Thirds equivalent. Or the more compact Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3t.5, preferably the Mark II which will focus faster than the Leica with CDAF (ie, on a m4/3 body), but lacks the OIS of the Leica. For slow zooms in the f/3.5-5.6 range, there is no advantage gained in tapping into the Four-Thirds collection, as the same lenses are also made in Micro Four-Thirds mount and are already optimized for CDAF.

10. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info, as always.

The only problem is, I'm not being offered that 14-50! But that's fine, I've got the 14-45, and I'm more than happy w/it.

Based on finding the borrowlenses guys, I'll take your advice and my first rental from them will be the 100-300. We'll see where that takes me.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Cool, I live pretty close from them too. I would be curious to know how their main office (in San Carlos) looks like. A demo room perhaps? lol
    Let us know

12. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    That would be pretty interesting. I live in Hollywood, so I'd likely go to one of their places in the Valley, just a short ways away.

As soon as I do this, I'll let you know

13. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
  14. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Depends on how long you want to wait for a used item to show up. I rented a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 + adapter from lensrentals.com and got everything on time and didn't have to hassle with on-line ads and finicky buyers. Some of the more exotic, native stuff like the Panasonic 8mm fisheye and the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 you're betting off going through a rental company IMO.

15. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I rented from borrowlenses several times. First, w/ two sets of Einstein monolights and various accessories for a major shoot, then recently the Olympus 4/3 Zuiko 14-54mm mkII lens. Now I was suppose to get the adapter as a rental, but they forgot it. So they actually reimbursed me for a brand new one from Samy's Camera and extended my rental from 3business day (Wednesday before Thanksgiving to Monday) all the way until Friday of that week for free.

So even though they messed up, their customer service is top-notch. I will definitely rent from them again because of their price, service, m4/3 & 4/3 selection, and because they're the only ones that rent the Einstein monolights =D

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 14-150mm is, in terms of sharpness, the best superzoom lens available for any system. It's also generally quite expensive.

Autofocus works with any m4/3 camera, and it is fairly quiet. However, it isn't particularly fast - expect 1.5 seconds on average to focus.

It's a fairly large lens, but on a G1 or a GH1, I think it would handle okay.

DH