Holy Cow.. Black sexy Zuiko lenses - Are you seduced?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, May 10, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thank god , I didnt buy same old silver looking 75 mm 1.8 , Now Olympus had announced Black version of these ones ..I am gonna get black 17 and 75 mm . Who else is seduced by these black beauties ?
  2. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Me!Heck yah! Im loving these black lenses. Would love to get the 75mm and 45mm... but Im so broke at the moment, lol. These couldn't have been released at a worse time for me. Still I think I might be able to swing the 45mm :) Will look good along side my PL 25mm in the mail.
  3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Damm, who wants to buy my month old 45 and 75 in sexy silver :)
  4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Actually now I have seen the black, I think I prefer the Silver.

The black looks too shiney and is going to be very prone to scratching.

Would be interested in a black 45 in matt but no sign of that
  5. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I prefer silver too - just something about silver lenses on my black E-M5 and E-P3 that I really like.
  6. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    I have the silver 17mm 1.8 for my black E-M5, but I definitely want the black 17mm - will likely flick my silver lens off and pick up the black for a small loss.
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Typical - I picked my kit up half way through last month and got the black OMD with 45 & 75 (both in silver), great lenses but would have preferred black!!

Now they go and launch black version................boo hoo, ah well, it's the quality of results that count and they are stunning from both (now where's that matt black paint).
  8. Bhupinder2002

hahaah paint them black and sell them :wink::wink::wink::wink::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am not going to say that I am seduced by them but I am glad Olympus has released them in black. To be honest I never understood why they made them silver in the first place.
  10. Bhupinder2002

I agree , they could have launched them at the same time .
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is a $50 premium for the 17mm in black.

Even Leica doesnt charge differently between chrome and black..... and the chrome version is even heavier.
  12. Bhupinder2002

Lol.....:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs: No comments :wink::wink:
  13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I prefer silver lenses (and bodies). When I am in the field on a sunny day I don't like my equipment getting hot. ;) Be out in the sun for a few hours on a 90+ degree day with black equipment and silver becomes much more "sexy". :D

When I shot large format I even used light grey bellows and my focusing cloth was white (black on the inside, of course).
  14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeh... I've said people tend to complain too much about pricing of this and that here on the m43 forums. This time, I'm the one doing the complaining this time around. haha

Common!! its a color... we are not even talking about a "special" finish like some sort of hardened titanium anodization or hand painted design. Heck... I could even understand if they applied some sort of leather trim to the focus ring.. But just color?

Anyways... we are backwards from what I am used to. Most lenses are black and people fight over the ones that are chrome.
  15. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts

I'd prefer it if Olympus would set aside launches like this and concentrate on producing some more lenses.
  16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Darn. I'd already sold my black OMD and got a silver OMD just so that it doesn't clash with the silver 12, 17, 45 and 75!!

Sigh ...
  17. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Smart move for them to add that option. I was worried that they would come out as a "special" edition like the 12mm was.
  18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    The +$300 "special"?
  19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I may pick up the black 75mm, but I'm waiting to see how panny does with the f1.2/42.5mm to see if its worth keeping the oly 45.
  20. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Not that I own one, but I am glad for those who do that Olympus did not release a normal (non-limited) black 12mm. That would have been a pretty bad move on their part.

I used to play this online game called PoxNora, in which you "collected" (digitally) cards with creatures, spells and equipment/artifacts. The creatures then came to life on a (digital) table-top. It was a very cool idea, but it started to have a collectors' market, which they totally killed. I had two Limited Edition Black Avenging Angels (the regular ones were white) that were, at one point, selling on Ebay for over $100 each. A went away for a little while, expecting my collection to appreciate. When I came back, they had released, en masse, the Black Avenging Angels without any way to tell them apart. They were worthless. When I saw that Limited Black 12mm, I had a bad feeling that the same thing would happen (well, they wouldn't be worthless, but definitely worth less, even with the "Limited Black" markings.) It seems that, at least for now, it will not.

Oh, and I'm glad that I only bought the 45mm in silver. I definitely want all three black lenses.