1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Holster/waist bag for travel?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by flamingfish, May 7, 2016.

1. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    When I'm traveling (touristing), I'm usually using the E-M5 mk I and the Oly 14-150. I've been using various shoulder bags (worn cross-body), but have been thinking about a waist bag. Any recommendations? Ease of access and minimizing bulk are considerations. I was looking at the Think Tank Digital Holster 5, but it's so hard to judge things without seeing them in person. (The Hubba Hubba Hiney -- seriously, who came up with that name? -- looks too bulky for what I want.)

For part of my next planned trip, I may be carrying the Pana 100-300 as well. I was thinking about an add-on lens bag for that.

2. Thinktank Speed Demon! I use one of those to carry an EM5 with Pany 12-35 mounted, a Pany 35-100, Pany 7-14, and Pany 100-300. You need to remove the insert to carry all this, but the bag is sturdy enough without the insert. There is also a front pocket for mem cards, batteries, lens pen etc. Can be carried as a fanny pack or over the shoulder. This bag has traveled the world!

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I use a Digital Holster 10 all the time and it will fit an EM-10 with up to a 40-150 PRO + MC-14 on it. Mine is always carried as a chest bag which is attached to my Panorama 180° backpack. The Digital Holster 5 doesn't appear to have the Pop Down feature which makes Digital Holster 10, 2.25" deeper when it is unzipped.

4. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    CosySpeed CamSlinger 160 gets my vote. There's a panel which drops the camera compartment low enough that the belt can be worn inside the jacket.

Fanny pack style would require the belt to be outside.

B&H has it for $45.

If you want pockets and rainproof cover, there's the CosySpeed Streetomatic at $69.

5. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have both, the Hubba Hubba Hiney (let's just call it HHH :) ) and the Speed Demon. The HHH is considerably smaller than the Speed Demon and just about fits one camera with a lens mounted plus an extra lens (I'm talking about the bigger zoom lenses. If you're using primes the HHH is going to be to big too)

The Speed Demon ended up being to heavy/loaded for me on hikes (too much weight in one spot), so I'm now usually distributing the weight with the HHH on a belt on my backside and Mindshift Gears "Ultralight Camera Cover" as a holster for my main camera. Works pretty well (I only wish they'd make a version of the Ultralight Camera Cover without integrated belt, that I could attach to my main belt rather than having two belts... But it works.)

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I'm a big fan of the HHH. I carry my E-M1 or GX7 with a lens mounted, plus two other lenses on either side in the bag. Usually the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 are with me, and one or two of the small primes: 17/1.8, 45/1.8, or the 9-18/4-5.6. It's tight with three lenses, very roomy with only one extra. Room for a CP, couple of batteries, cleaning cloths, etc.

I have the Digital Holster 10 & 20, which are ok if I don't need a second lens. The 20 accommodates the E-M1 with the 50-200/2.8-3.5 mounted. But once I need to add a lens, I'll use the HHH. I don't have the 5 but suspect it would be too cramped.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Do you think it will be possible to fit EM1 + Panasonic 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100 in HHH?

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    How about the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10? It comes with a strap, but it will fit on your belt (not a photo belt). It's tiny but holds a lot. I did a mini review a while back in this thread. I'm no longer using it, as I'm carrying more now and finally got over the name, so picked up the HHH. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I don't have the 7-14, so I can't be sure. But it's snug with the 9-18, which is smaller.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  10. flamingfish

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I have one of the Camslingers (the small one, I think). I used it once and wasn't satisfied that it closed securely enough. My Pana 20mm fell out without me noticing. Luckily I discovered the loss before leaving the site and was able to go back and find it, but the experience left me a little wary of the Camslingers.

ETA: I got out my Camslinger and it's the 160 after all. Losing my lens was probably the result of user error (insufficient care in getting the case latched). I'm going to give it another try, because it does fit the E-M5 with the 14-150.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  11. flamingfish

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Just to be clear, I'm looking for something that will hold the E-M5 and the 14-150 with the lens mounted.

12. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I own the cam slinger streetomatic and love it. It has abetter closing mechanism than their base models and fits my Gx7 with the P35-100 f2.8 and the P7-14. If you need more space than that it will be too small though, but it is perfect for a two lens setup. You can obviously attach extra pouches in special use cases, but if it doesn't fit your usual walkaround I would go larger.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I second the nomination for the Mirrorless Mover 10.

Barry

• Like Like x 1