Holiday portraiture with an EPL-1? Adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jettilton, Nov 11, 2012.

1. jettilton

jettilton Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011

Was recently forced to sell my Canon dslr to pay bills! I still have my EPL-1 with kit lens, and wanted to figure out a way to use it for holiday portraiture, mainly outdoors in good lighting.

Problem is I'm on a strict budget of around $150-$200, and was looking for lens recommendations. Since I don't have a lot of extra $$, would use of an adapted lens be the best solution? If so, what would be a good lens to adapt to it?

2. jettilton

jettilton Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Hello...not one response?

Hey guys,

really would appreciate any responses out there....

3. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    If you're on a real budget, you don't necessarily *need* a new lens over the kit lens, particularly outdoors in good light. You could maybe wait a bit and buy one of the 'loved' lenses a little later.

If you want 'fast' portrait lenses there's loads of lenses to adapt, the Olympus OM50's small and well inside your budget, but there're lots of cheaper alternatives. Have a look in the 'Adapted lenses' forum for 50mm recommendations, or 28mm for a little wider.

If you fancy AF, I currently have the Sigma 30mm and it's a great lens that's probably within budget, certainly 2nd hand. I don't love it *more* than the 45mm, but I'd have been happy with just the 30mm if I'd bought it first - great lens for the price! :)

I've picked longer lenses as you mentioned portraits specifically - if you also want a walkaround holiday lens get the Panasonic 14mm 2nd hand - another absolute bargain. There's no way I'd sell either the 14mm or 30mm, for the price and performance out of them, I'll just always want to keep them.
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Jet.

I've had some decent results with a legacy Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens and an inexpensive adapter.

The adapter I'm using is from Fotodiox: Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon Lens to Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Electronics

The lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Electronics

Although you should be able to acquire a used lens for under a hundred dollars. They're ubiquitous in the Nikon world, so you could get both the lens and adapter and stay within budget.

Of course the lens is manual focus only on an E-PL1, so successful focusing becomes dependent upon the photographer.

The Panasonic 14mm :43: can be acquired for under $200, new, on E-Bay but unless you're doing group portraits it is probably too wide for your stated purpose.

The Panasonic 45-200 :43: lens might be a possibility. Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Lumix G Vario MEGA OIS Zoom Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Electronics

You should be able to find one used for your budget; keep an eye on the price, I paid under $200 new for mine this past summer during a lens sale. It's a bit soft at the far end, but the 45mm end is a good focal length for portraits and you're shooting outdoors so lighting shouldn't be an issue.

I've had personal experience with the three lenses above, I'm sure more experienced folks can chime in with other possible solutions.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For just portraiture, I love my Minolta 58mm f1.4. Sharp where it needs to be, great OoF areas, all around nice lens. And they are like $50 for a decent condition. Adapter is another $20 from Fotodiox or other generic adapter.
  6. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    If you have a thrift shop (Goodwill or the Salvation Army) near your area, you may find one. Maybe between the $20-$50 range.
  7. mcshort

mcshort Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2012
    czech republic
    for portrait and macro i use my favorite Helios 44-2 (58mm/f2.0) with m4/3 -> m42 adapter (sum 20EUR - nice prize for very good sharpness, dof, bokeh)
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you can bump your budget up just a bit, I recommend very strongly the Sigma 30mm f2.8. For $199 dollars you get a very sharp and fast focusing lens with great rendering. The 30mm focal length is long enough for portrait work but still wide-ish so you can get multiple people in the shot.

I shoot a lot of legacy lenses and they are a cheaper option. Plenty of 50mm f1.8, 1.7, and 1.4s out there for reasonable prices. Two issues though, 1. manual focusing, not everyone is good at it. 2. the 50mm focal length is great for single portraits but not very flexible for group shots.

I think your best bet is the Sigma.
  9. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

This was taken with a epl1 and a fujian 35mm 1.7 c mount lens that can be found real cheap.