Holiday Family Photo

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by zpierce, Dec 27, 2012.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I spent nearly an hour setting this up and dialing in this year's family holiday phot. It's the longest I've spent setting up for any single photo in my relatively short photo "career". There were still some opportunities for improvement but overall I was very happy with the result.

I used nearly every toy in the bag, which for several of them justified their purchase finally :)

Shot with GH2, PL25 @f2.8, Oly FL-360 with diffuser and off camera with cowboy studios remote trigger, even used my white balance cap and Color Checker passport to calibrate.

<a href="" title="P1000467.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="534" alt="P1000467.jpg"></a>

I found the off camera flash / diffuser combo came in VERY handy when just taking photos of the present opening and what not. I put the flash behind me pointed up into the back corner of the room, dialed in the power and an ISO / aperture combo that yielded nice background results and was able to shoot away with consistently great results. Also, it once again proved that I could easily live with just the PL25 if I had to choose one lens. Here's a few examples..

Me and my valuable presents...
    <a href="" title="P1310549.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="P1310549.jpg"></a>

<a href="" title="P1310484.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="P1310484.jpg"></a>

<a href="" title="P1310513.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">[​IMG]"600" height="800" alt="P1310513.jpg"></a>
    • Like Like x 9
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Just fantastic!

beautiful family....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Very nice photographs, thanks for sharing!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Zach, the first one is definitely a holiday postcard material, thanks for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    these shots should be printed and hanged on a wall! awesome family portraits :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Good stuff mate...and great that you put to practical use all the gear. For myself something like this would be a great exercise in learning at least some of the flash photography basics which I admittedly know very little about, but promised myself to learn.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Great photos!Congratulations!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wonderful photos, Zach. Beautiful family and really excellent job with the lighting.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Unfortunate finger positioning in that last one though.
  10. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, that's why it took an hour. It was a bit of a forced learning experience. You should have seen all the failed attempts :)
  11. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Really fine lighting.Great shots.I feel the warmth.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Beautiful photos, well worth the effort! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1