1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Holiday Camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LucaBonazzi, Feb 27, 2014.

1. LucaBonazzi

LucaBonazzi New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi! I'm new here, so hi to all!

I was just going to see other peoples opinions on here about what they would do... heres the position I'm in;

Im off on holiday in july to Jamaica, I currently have a Lumix G3, 14-42mm f3.5 lens and a 19mm f2.8 lens. So question is, do I take this camera with me with the 14-42 lens and purchase a gopro hero3+ silver/black...

or buy a zoomable lens for my G3? looking at getting a 14-140 panasonic lens with the ois.

the debate I'm having is that Ideally I wouldn't want to take my G3 down the beach or near the pool where it can come into contact with sand or water at all. hence leading me towards the gopro which is fully waterproof upto 40m to use while kayaking, waterskiing, quad biking etc.. and have my G3 for any "cleaner" excursions with the 14-42mm lens.

what would your thoughts be?

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I guess it depends on how much you'd like to using a camera while doing things in a dirty/wet environment. If it is going to be rare then it probably isn't worth investing in something like a gopro.

The other thing to consider is if you want to do a lot of video in those environment, or more still photos. If you're mainly interested in still photos you might be better off with a tough camera, like the Olympus TG-850. Apart from the newest Gopros, the still images will be better from a tough camera.

3. andymacadams

andymacadams Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    San Diego, Ca
    With your current set up of lens, I would say purchase the Gopro. You have a decent setup for landscape / landmark images. In my opinion there is nothing better than getting images and videos of, like you stated, kayaking, snorkeling, I.e. Water sports.

Back before I had my pana GH3, I took a olympus point shoot which was water proof with me to Hawaii. I got decent video and images out of it. Looking back I wish I had a Gopro instead, but hindsight is 20/20.

Go for the Gopro and don't skimp on the extra mounts. You can get some great angles with those.

4. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Also consider your usage. Setting up a gopro and viewing images is not nearly as quick as on a normal camera. Personally, I'd go with one of the good waterproof point and shoot cameras and bring that. They take good pictures and video. And bring the G3 along too. You could probably get a nice waterproof point and shoot and the Lumix 45-150 lens for the same cost as a 14-140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LucaBonazzi

LucaBonazzi New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    What sort of mounts would you go for ??

6. LucaBonazzi

LucaBonazzi New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    The tough camera is a good idea, but its the hassle of having to actually hold the camera to record videos, unlike a go pro which is mounted and kind of gets forgotten about

7. andymacadams

andymacadams Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    San Diego, Ca
    I would go for the suction mount, the helmet mount, and if you plan on doing any moped or bicycle riding, the body harness which also would be great for kayaking.