Holgas, Dianas and the like...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bullfrog, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Any lo-tech fans/users on here? Recently I've been using my (un)trusty Holga quite a bit. Curious if anyone else here loves them as much as I do.

• Like Like x 4
  2. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    Hi, yes I am a lo-tech fan too. I have my collection of Dianas still. Didn't sell them when the market was good :) I even took the lens from one and adapted it to my old Pentax *istDL. Haven't cobbled it onto the Lumix G1 yet though. I never warmed up to the Holga as much as I'd wanted to. The lens was too good.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Have you seen this digital Holga design?

Looks like fun... only trouble is, I'm guessing the full frame sensor would make it overly expensive and too power hungry for 2xAA batteries.

Cheers

Brian

4. Bullfrog

If it's the Yashica EZ F521 you're referring to Brian, yes I have one. It's a great POS :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bullfrog

LOL! No joking I am frequently surprised at what comes out of this plastic lens. It's good to redifine "good". Guess I just like pissing of pixelpeepers.

• Like Like x 2
  6. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I shot through my first roll of 120 on my Holga, and I love it. Looking forward to many more Holga adventures.

7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Whoops, sorry forgot to add the link... here it is, a design concept only.

Cheers

Brian

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Many years ago I had a Diana. My first photography course in college required that we all only use The Diana. Unfortunately, it is long gone, but one of my favorite photos is still on my wall...it was taken with that Diana. Ah, memories.

Frankly Brian, if that design you've linked us to, that camera looks very attractive to me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBW

Paul, I'd be very interested to see some of your photos with this camera - perhaps you might post a few?:biggrin:

Brian, the link you gave to that Holga D is very interesting - so far in his design (which is aesthetically beautiful) there's no viewfinder and no screen. I swear my old Diana had a plastic viewfinder. I think no viewfinder is a bit too much of a delayed gratification for me.:wink: That said, perhaps the designer will add one.:thumbup:

10. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I have quite a few of these "toy" cameras. I would like to get a Diana, but the prices seem to be so full of air these days…

One of my favorites is a camera that takes four shots on a single 35mm frame. I also have a "Bratz" camera, it was hard to believe that it actually was a working camera, it was so light and plasticky.

I also have many Polaroids, both with shoddy plastic optics and nice crisp glass optics :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I had the same class as BB. I show up in the mid 70's to college with my fancy Nikon F3 and am told I have to use the $1.25 plastic Diana for the first few weeks. It was fun and humbling though. I bought another one a few years ago but find it so hard to shoot film now. But I do often shoot with a lensbaby, which is as close as I can get to Diana and Holga without shooting film.

• Like Like x 2
  12. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I'd like to see some of the photos. It would be nice to have a toy/experimental camera/lens section here.

• Like Like x 2
  13. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

My wife and I take our holgas out at least one weekend a year. It's part of our yearly month long "digital detox", where we shoot only film, if for no other reason then to just keep using the film gear we've collected over the years. We have a lot of fun with them but I haven't really found my "groove" with them. I've seen some incredible work done on plastic cameras, none of which was mine.

Check out Erin Antognoli's website. She'll shoot your wedding on a Holga and get great results! She's somebody who found her "groove" with the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    The Cokin effect

I use Cokin filters with my GF1 to get some nice plasticky feeling to my digital images. They have a pretty extensive set of quirky filters. And some really useful stuff too, though not that good optical quality.

I had a set for my Mamiya 645, but I hardly used them, but now with digital I use them quite a lot. It just didn't seem right to put the cheap plastic in front of my nice Mamiya glass and "waste" a frame of film to experiment. Now you can just delete the picture when you fail the shot :)

15. BBW