Holga hpl-op pinhole speckled with paint?????

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by richmond23236, Jul 18, 2012.

1. richmond23236

richmond23236 New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Hi,
    I just received a HOLGA HPL-OP
    lens, which I am using on a M4/3 camera.

I am somewhat familiar with pinhole photography, but am confused a bit by what I found with this specific lens.

Noting that the image quality was not exactly what I had anticipated, I investigated the both the objective and subjective surfaces of the lens.

Not finding a 'pinhole', I encountered small diameter aperture...with what appears to be a clear lens or covering through which light passes.

At least one surface of this clear
    lens/flat/etc is speckled with matte black paint. The speckle pattern is irregular to the extent that I do not believe that it is a feature of the lens (as in a zone plate or sieve).

Is this the correct presentation of this lens, or is this a defect?

2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    If it's a true pinhole there is no lens, merely a very small fixed aperture (usually in a piece of metal). The advert says the hole is 0.25mm so that should work for some soft focus effects.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I suspect that piece of plastic is just shipping material, and is to be removed for use.

4. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

I asked 2 colleagues who shoot and blog about all things Pin Hole and Holga. They both agree that your lens does not sound 100% and should be returned for a new one.