Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tom.rob, May 28, 2012.

1. tom.rob

tom.rob Mu-43 Rookie

Went for a trip to Hobbiton yesterday (Central North Island, New Zealand) and had a play with my GX1 and recently acquired 14-140mm - a very versatile lens I'm really happy with! If you ever have a chance to visit it's more than worth it - the set is looking great after recently being used to film The Hobbit and they will be maintaining it as it is :)

(This will be more interesting if you're into Tolkien!)

The Party Tree

Each hobbit hole is very unique

Bag End

The famous green door

• Like Like x 19
  2. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Hope you are enjoying taking photos in my 'wider backyard'. Unfortunately the weather has been so great for getting out with the camera over the last few days - but it looks like didn't stop you from enjoying Hobbiton!
  3. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    That is way cool! I assume they are keeping it as a tourist attraction? Great photos BTW I especially like the third and fifth ones
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Didn't realize it was left up as a tourist attraction, though that does make a lot of sense.
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I love it! Loved the books, loved the movie. If ever I get to visit that part of the world Hobbiton will be first on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  6. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Nice shots! Are they strictly exterior, or can you go in them?
  7. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Lou Doench

Another addition to my bucket list!
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Any chance of a followup trip to Rivendell? :smile:

Thanks for sharing,

9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I suspect it'll feature in the Hobbit too.

They've definitely been shooting in and around Wellington the last few months.
  10. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Very cool... I love NZ, did the magic bus circuit in 2000, best trip ever.
  11. tom.rob

tom.rob Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks guys :)

Yeah the weather wasn't the best unfortunately - hence the rather bland skies!

There are a few of the larger hobbit holes you can go inside so that the actors could walk out of them, but most simply look good from outside... Around half of them are 'hobbit sized' with everything looking small, and the others are larger so that the actors can be in the shot with them and look hobbit sized themselves. (hope that makes sense!)

Rivendell is nice but it's only the forest and river - there aren't any parts of the set left.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Awesome shots! I'm jealous!
    • Like Like x 1