Hobbiest electronics to interpret commands for other lenes?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MSnap, Aug 21, 2015.

1. MSnap

MSnap Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    With billions of people in the world, it seems likely that one or two of them would have used a microcontroller to translate between different "camera lens electronics systems". I wondered if anyone knew of any projects like this, MFT or not? I'm just interested really.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Something like the dandelion chip ?

Leitax makes adapters and chips for a variety of cameras - I haven't seen much on the forum about how/if they work. Note - these don't do AF - just meta-data and help with focus confirmation & passing aperture info in manual-focus.

I'm guessing the creators would have either looked at the lens spec and come up with a chip that does the same thing or hooked up a signal-meter and reverse engineered the comms between camera & lens.

Not sure if that was the type of info you were interested in ?
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If I had access to a logic analyzer, I could have fun trying to figure out the M43 protcocol. The same blogger mentioned above has made a start with M43.

I'm not interested in connecting other manufacturers to M43. I'd like a way to add electronics to an adapter, so I could rotate some digital switches to set focal length and also communicate aperture.
  5. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So how much would it cost to join the consortium and get access to the whitepapers?
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Personally, I'm quite happy with MF, but having to stop-down after focus and then having no EXIF is a mighty PITA. I don't understand why Samyang/Rokinon, Voigtlander etc don't do a basic electrical connection that does auto aperture and provides EXIF.
    • Agree Agree x 1