Hmmm... NEX-6 or OM-D... hmmm...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    NEX-6 is first one that had me adding up the used prices for my OM-D. Looks nice!!

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Same. I'm thinking about selling enough NEXs and M43s to get one.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm already there. Sold my E-M5 and some glass a few days ago anticipating I wouldn't be able to resist one of the new offerings. Didn't take long. The 6 hooked me.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
  5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Don't you dare sell that beautiful E-M5 I sold you that I worked so hard to find :smile:

NEX-6 is a nice camera, but with no IBIS and lack of small primes I personally am not interested in it except as an example of the type of form factor that Olympus and/or Panasonic should adopt next, i.e. a rangefinder style body with built-in EVF. Looks like Sony are tackling the IS problem by putting OSS in all their new lenses, which is great if they keep that going for all their new lenses going forward. Too bad for the 24mm f/1.8 though since it doesn't have OSS and is rather large to boot, while Olympus have a 17mm f/1.8 coming out that should be about the size of the 12mm f/2.

I think I've successfully talked myself into staying with m4/3 :biggrin:

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why not to wait for NEX8....NEX9 or NEX 10 ? Oh no...I think NEX 11 may offer best IQ? hahahahhah Its a never ending story my friend . Its important to learn how to feel happy , satisfied and shoot more and more pics ...:rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 6
  7. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    +1
    Just go out and shoot :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Once they test the 35/1.8, that'll be an important factor for most people to feel comfortable switching without a hit to their lens lineup.

The way I see it is (in terms of a standardish prime FL setup)

NEX-6 and 35/1.8

X-E1 and 35/1.4

E-M5 and 25/1.4

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly . The tragedy is that IQ of any camera is judged these days by seeing samples shot by others . I do use internet and forums as a guide or help to make a decision but Its me who calls the final shots . I shoot myself and see what I need and what I am happy with it . If u need to know what a camera can offer , U need to learn it inside out and spend some time with it .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I dunno. Trying to be open minded. I'm missing some shallow DOF effects, so I've been thinking about Nikon D600, XE1 (renting an XPro 1 this weekend) and NEX. I even listed my OMD for sale, but maybe I'll pull it off.

Here are the issues:
    • Sure, NEX might be cool, but if you want some legacy glass, and long legacy glass, I'm going to run into IS issues. I want to use my Voigtlander 75mm. On my OMD it's very well stabilized. On the NEX? I'll need to maintain at least 1/150 shutter speed. I'm getting shots now down to 1/60 and even 1/30.
    • Fuji still is going to have limited lenses (no real telephoto options, and no standard portrait lens). Then, I've heard about some overexposure metering issues and RAW issues (color smearing).
    • Nikon D600 might be more expensive than originally thought, and it's back to chimping to find if you nailed exposure and DOF, etc. It's also quite a bit bigger than the others, and the OOC jpgs are not going to be great (shoot RAW). But it is full frame!

What I mean is, there just isn't a perfect camera. Every one of them has tradeoffs. But the OMD gives GREAT IBIS with ANY lens, excellent high ISO and good DR, nice built-in VF, and a fantastic native lens selection. It also has the best flash system of the mirrorless (though not better than the Nikon).

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Honestly the EM5 is just such an effortless camera for me (AEB aside). Coming from that I just don't have anything more to ask that NEX could give me. Lenses are a different matter, though. Olympus needs to get some new HG zooms to market, soon.

12. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Whereas I am about as convinced as possible that the NEX-6 will not improve my photography. But I ordered one anyway.

I have decided to accept that trying out new and different gear is a part of the overall Photography hobby that I enjoy. It's not about gear OR photos. No reason those two worlds can't co-exist peacefully. If anything, new gear = more photos (for me) as I enjoy just shooting to find strengths, weaknesses and limits of the new camera and/or lens. I don't grab my Canon DSLR just to fool around with it much anymore, but I imagine the NEX-6 will get a work out just for fun.

And I know that no matter which camera I choose I will always be the weakest link. I'll keep working at it, but I have no illusions.

13. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The biggest problem from Nex for me has been the lens sizes. Yeah, they're bringing out a pancake kit lens, but come on we need more smaller lenses. Portability without losing out much on IQ was the reason I moved from a DSLR to micro four thirds. I did get a Nex-5 couple of weeks ago to see what the hype around peaking was. Well, it is yet to impress me :(. Giving it a proper shoot this evening with the Contax g35, will report my findings here. But, I doubt I'll give up micro four thirds for a long time to come. It gives the right balance at this point in time.

I'd ask people contemplating the switch to rent a Nex camera with a few primes for a week and see if you'd still want to get it.

14. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I drank the sony koolaid, got GAS, and have prescribed myself a preorder ticket from amazon.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I may buy one of these also. The attractive features are the APS-C sensor and continuous autofocus and tracking. I've found Olympus' 4/3 system to be sorely lacking in continuous AF and tracking to photograph my kids' sports events. I knew this when I bought the system but now my needs have changed as my kids now do gymnastics, martial arts and horseback riding. The OM-D doesn't rectify this so no point buying it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's funny, I first got in to :43: as a secondary system to my DSLR, like many of us I suppose. My E-PL1 and kit lens were not delivering what the DSLR could in many ways, but the gear was fun. With the improvements now at hand, the E-M5 was my choice over my DSLR for everything except sports. But it seems those vast improvements over a few years have left me wanting this system to replace my DSLR completely.

So the NEX-6 gets a shot. I frankly doubt that it will get the job done, and I won't be at all surprised if I switch back to the E-M5 or a different :43: option, and keep the DSLR. But I enjoy playing with new gear, so it checks that box, and if it can do the sports shooting job as well then it will be a homerun. Worth a shot I guess.

17. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    demiro,

Looking forward to your impressions of the C-AF on the NEX-6. Sounds like you're sufficiently critical of C-AF performance--my kind of guy :)