hmmm... 2nd body... which way to go?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pondball, Mar 7, 2018.

1. While I'd love to get the new em1mk2 as a "2nd" body I'm thinking until some more affordable used ones come to market I might pick up something to compliment my existing kit (see siggy below). I'd feel better on trips having a backup, and, on location not having to change between lens would suit me fine too!

I'm happy with my em5mk2 and don't know whether to:
    • pick up a 2nd one used (going prices seem to be between $600 - $700 CDN$ used)
    • pick up an em1mk1 used (going prices seem to be between $500 - $600 CDN$ used)
    • or just wait out the em1mk2 price rate is it now stands and hope prices fall before the summer

Does it make more sense to go with the same body as I already have or is there something in the em1 that is missing from the em5 that I would gain from?

I'm looking at Oly only as an option as weatherproofing and menu familiarity are must-have's. Full compatibility with my current glass is also high on the list. I don't need to do video with both cameras but certainly require it with at least one (two would be nice though as I do coaching and multi-angle would be great).

What would you do?
  2. Dan K.

Dan K. New to Mu-43

Until I picked up the E-M1.2, I had a new E-M5.2 and had picked up a pre-owned E-M1. It was a nice pairing - especially because they use the same batteries and the features of both cameras complimented each other. Later I sold the E-M1 for the newer version but kept the E-M5.2 as my back-up. That might be a good route to go for you as well, until you’re ready to dive into the deep end with the E-M1.2.
  3. Dan K.

Dan K. New to Mu-43

Better C-AF and phase detect AF points on the E-M1 make it better for action shooting than the E-M5.2. In most other aspects the two are even, or the E-M5.2 may even be ahead.
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I don't see prices on the E-M1 mk2 coming down to anything less than $1000 US for the foreseeable future. I bought the E-M1 mk1 because I use legacy 4/3rds lenses and wanted the PDAF. As I recall, looking at the E-M5 mk2 sometime back I came to the conclusion that if I didn't need the PDAF then I would have been very happy with the m5mk2. Now they have implemented using the PDAF sensors on the M1mk1 in C-AF mode when using micro lenses but if you don't use C-AF much, then again I am not sure if there is much you gain with the E-M1mk1 over your current model.

Sooooo, that is a long way of saying that the M1mk2 is too expensive and the M1mk1 doesn't really offer any significant upgrades, so buy a second M5mk2 to you can have two of the same body.
  5. Not too conversant with all Olly m43 features yet as I've been an APSC and full frame shooter but if you're happy with the Em5 isn't that the same processor as the EM10? If IQ is your priority why not take the cheapest option of the EM10mkll? OF course, if in camera stacking is of importance, bracketing will still suffice with software, then rule it out but if all you want to do is "point and shoot" with mode control with little concern for tracking etc, why get yourself into more bucks?
    My first experience was with the followed that my 2nd body would be the mark ll because I was familiar with it, despite some changes to the mkll layout.

Don't underestimate the (lack of) ability to function your 2nd camera appropriately, at the precise moment an opportunity arrives, if it is fundamentally different to your 1st. I've seen well experienced folk, (speaking of myself...............perhaps not so experienced :blush:) who, with two bodies (different lenses) to shoot street, when picking up one, fumbled and missed the shot because they didn't have the quick wit to realise which camera they had in their hand.............well they knew, they were just so used to shooting the first body that they reached for the wrong controls. Something to be considered. To my mind, if you're happy with your 1st body, your 2nd should be a mirror, merely to facilitate different lenses, unless of course you're into fast moving subjects that your first body doen't accommodate
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Having an identical camera with another lens is always the easiest solution. You share batteries, setup, handling.

That being said, there are also advantages to having a smaller backup. Something that can be easier to grab on the quick. Have you considered a used E-P5? You can find them for $300(US). They take the same battery as the E-M5ii. They are more compact, but should give similar results as your E-M5ii.

Oops I saw that you mention weather proof as a needed feature.

I would still say another E-M5ii is the best option, unless you want to try out 4/3 lenses. Then an E-M1i would be it.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Ed Diaz

Ed Diaz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    Agree with this. Picked up an E-M1.1 specifically for the C-AF/PDAF. It's great that they use the same batteries. I have an E-M10.1 that I use to use with the E-M5.2 as a 2nd body, and though I actually prefer the form factor of the E-M10.1 (smaller, lighter, tilt screen vs articulating), it was really a pain to have to carry 2 different batteries/chargers.
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Simplistic view of the situation:

If you need PDAF and better C-AF, get a used EM1.1
    If you don't need that, get a second used EM5.2

Of the 2 above bodies, the EM5.2 has an edge on video, if ever so slight.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Philippos

Philippos New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    My experience is that the IBIS of the EM5.2 is way better than the IBIS on the EM1.1. That is also something to consider.
    EM5.2 is better in video too.
    EM1.1 is better with moving objects and CAF (+ TR) and has a better handling with larger lenses. It also has the in camera focus stacking functionality (with some selected lenses).

Other than that, you cant go wrong with either.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Didn't the recent firmware update include focus stacking for the E-M5ii?

Yes it did.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I agree with this
    and (being a cheapskate) is the reason that I have the GF1 + GH1 ... handling is very similar, batteries identical.

Don't undersell how important it is to get familiar with your camera of choice to be able to dance with it not stepping on toes when taking images in short order (rather than , ohh, I missed it).

12. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes. I have an E-M5 and E-M10. They handle very similar. But for some silly reason Oly switched the position of the review and Fn1 buttons between the two models. It takes me a second to remember when I switch.
  13. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    I think what I would do is what I have done, which was to use the E-M5.2 and E-M1.1 side by side for the better part of a year. They are quite complementary. I used the E-M5 for "normal" focal lengths and lower light and the more comfortable ergonomics of the E-M1 for longer glass. I finally broke down and bought the E-M1.1 refurbished during last spring's outlet sale, quite late in the product cycle. It had the 40-150 PRO plastered to it until I was able to afford anything longer. Despite the slight difference in published IBIS specs for the two cameras, I wasn't at all unhappy with the results. I suspect the ergonomic differences help level the playing field. The E-M5 typically used everything else in the bag.

Now that I have the E-M1.2, it has replaced the E-M1.1 behind the long glass and it is still the E-M5.2 that acts as "normal" shooter. The only difference is that the E-M1.2 is now the preferred camera for lower light and one-camera jaunts so it also sees a much wider selection of lenses than its predecessor ever did.

I don't know where you come down in this particular argument but the E-M1.1 has a tilting screen. As noted above, the E-M1.1 shares batteries with the E-M5s. This is a great convenience, huge, even. The battery for the 1.2 is itself huge and takes up a lot of pocket room.

Focus stacking has been added to the E-M5.2 via firmware 4.0.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thanks for the replies so far... very sage advice, and as I anticipated I am getting what I figured was an either or weighting for each body.

Thinking about everyone has said, certainly having the same body with the same controls would be a distinct advantage. However getting better C-AF with the em1 would also be a very real advantage. One thing I am learning is that the em5ii really isn't as good at birding and sports as it is at other things... travel, landscape and even low light. If there is a real advantage with an em1 then perhaps that would be the way to go.

The quandry is that I also want to do some split screen video production and while I have an old Sony digital (tape) video camera that I have already used for previous coaching videos I'm wondering if the quality of the em1 video would be substantially less than that produced through the em5ii?

Love the IBIS on the em5ii... it really is quite good with the Pro lens.

I also really like the EVF on the em5ii. If the em1 were not close to that standard that would play a very large part in the decision making process. The EVF is one of the reasons I chose Oly in the first place (eye issues - Macular Pucker as a result of a torn retina a few years back)... clarity is paramount to my photography enjoyment level.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I've always thought the EM5 II was a very underrated camera. It wasn't revolutionary, but it brought many small improvements to an already good body. If you mostly take stills of stuff that don't require CAF than it's hard to beat.
  16. and therein lies the dilemma... I haven't had a great deal of success with birding... even with my old D700 which was supposed to be good for that, among other things... also leads me to believe it is mostly my lack of birding skills or the lack of knowledge of the settings that would get me decent results as opposed the the specific camera itself... but if C-AF is better on the em1 then perhaps??
  17. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    The only issue I have with the E-M1's EVF implementation is a weaker focus-peaking response. Otherwise it does do stationary birding as well or better than the Nikons simply because one can focus on birds deep in brush.
  18. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If you are in the market for the second body and something to help with birding, then yes the E-M1i is the way to go.
  19. Does it have the same focus points? I know the new update for the em1mk2 has got smaller focus points that everyone is raving about (and the image samples posted so far are very very good indeed) but does the em1mk1 have better focusing than the em5mk2?
  20. I've just started using (a couple of months ago) focus peaking with magnification in manual focus mode with my em5mk2 and it has been much better for me (mainly because of my eye issue). I haven't used focus peaking when not in manual focus mode though. Is this something that happens in the background when the shutter released is pressed half way down?