hld-9 pin retracted, how can I solve?

yordanrhapsody

Mu-43 Regular
hello dears
my hld-9 has a retracted pin and another one only a little (i believe it is working fine when grip is connected to the camera) that prevents it from working completely, luckily only the two rotating function gears are not working
does anybody ever experienced such issue? do I risk something if I try to open it and check?

kind regards
0F412A11-31A6-43C4-B60A-FDD954A362BC.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Have you tried gently cleaning the pins with a soft toothbrush and gently 'exercising' the pins by pressing them in, then allowing them to spring back out?

Use tweezers to (gently) work the stuck pin out first.

I would not recommend pulling things apart unless you are good at such things.

yordanrhapsody

Mu-43 Regular
thanks for suggestion, I tried to pull it off with tweezers but it’s too deep inside to be picked up
I was thinking to try wd40 and see if maybe it’s only stuck and it’s not really broken

grinsaround

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Glenn
WD40 would probably be a mistake. I would try a good spray electronics contact cleaner (tech cleaner) first. It does look from the picture that there is enough to grab maybe with better tweezers or possibly nudge it carefully with a sharp needle?

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
thanks for suggestion, I tried to pull it off with tweezers but it’s too deep inside to be picked up
I was thinking to try wd40 and see if maybe it’s only stuck and it’s not really broken
Noooo ...

WD40 is for cars and lawnmowers, not cameras ...

Glenn's suggestion about using electronics cleaner is the way to go. Use in moderation.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
WD40 is for cars and lawnmowers, not cameras ...

Glenn's suggestion about using electronics cleaner is the way to go. Use in moderation.
WD-40 does make a contact cleaner in case anyone cares. ;)

A drop of Isopropyl Alcohol would probably do the trick as well and more people are likely to have that in their medicine cabinet.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
WD-40 does make a contact cleaner in case anyone cares. ;)

A drop of Isopropyl Alcohol would probably do the trick as well and more people are likely to have that in their medicine cabinet.
It's excellent stuff (WD40), I just would not use it anywhere that it can penetrate into unknown materials which might be badly effected by solvent based chemicals like WD40.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
It's excellent stuff (WD40), I just would not use it anywhere that it can penetrate into unknown materials which might be badly effected by solvent based chemicals like WD40.
Right but my point was the WD-40 company makes a specific product for electrical contact cleaning separate from their normal WD-40 formula.

Also to nit pick, contact cleaners are also a solvent type cleaners.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Right but my point was the WD-40 company makes a specific product for electrical contact cleaning separate from their normal WD-40 formula.

Also to nit pick, contact cleaners are also a solvent type cleaners.
That's all well and good, Patrick, but a bald statement to use "WD40" is very, very likely to be interpreted as "just use that WD40 penetrating spray you have in the garage" - not a good idea! One should be more specific, IMHO.

I have about 3-4 different kinds of spray lubricants, but would not recommend using any of them on any part of a camera.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
hello dears
my hld-9 has a retracted pin and another one only a little (i believe it is working fine when grip is connected to the camera) that prevents it from working completely, luckily only the two rotating function gears are not working
does anybody ever experienced such issue? do I risk something if I try to open it and check?

kind regards View attachment 912932
In the photo it looks like the pin base has a small dent next to the stuck pin, is that causing the problem?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I saw that too and chalked it up to a bit of damages caused by trying to get the pin to come back up. There is also another pin kind of half way down that could probably use a cleaning as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom