HLD-7....why so heavy?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Why is the E-M1 grip so heavy, what's inside it for heavens sake.

I just took delivery of one.

What used to be a well balanced camera, if just a tad small for my hands, now feels like a house brick.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It has a metal frame inside it under all the plastic, basically just so it's rigid for the tripod mount (since it takes its place). It runs most of the way along the top plate on the camera side between the tripod screw and the pin which fits into the end of the grip (kind of near the shutter button).

I don't normally use it much with smaller lenses (almost all m4/3) however it helps a lot with larger lenses (SHG or adapted FF/APS-C glass), the main advantage is more warning of a dying battery(you can use batteries til dead rather than swapping early and often) and improved usability as you can hot swap without turning the camera off(useful if you're doing a timelapse or something like that, lets you change batteries without taking the camera off mount if you're using a silly mounting system that obstructs it for some reason...). Oh, and you can use external power if you happen to have that luxury available.
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I prefer the rss boem-1. Of course this doesn't help if you need extra battery juice.
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Dave, you could take up weight lifting excercises. :wink: :biggrin:
  5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
  6. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I went for the Gariz CHEM1BK half-case. But, again that doesn't help with the extra battery.

7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Anyone getting a free grip with the current offers who doesn't want it let me know I'm sure we can work something out....
  8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Nah, heavy or not I'm hanging onto mine.

Have to say.....the grip has gone into a drawer, much prefer the E-M1 without it.
  9. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app