HLD-7 question for those who have it

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bcaslis, Oct 18, 2013.

1. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I managed to pick up an HLD-7 this morning for my E-M1. Seems very nice. The one thing that seemed strange was the alignment on the grip side seems a tiny bit off in that the front edge of the HLD-7 aligns more with the rubber of EM-1 grip inside of the bottom of the E-M1. Seems to be designed this way, rather than a defect on mine.

Is everyone's like this?

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    OK shocked mail just dropped it off :)

yes mine aligns with the rubber also seems logical in a sense of feel
    all my other cameras in past were 1 series with no grips have not had a grip on a camera since my other OMD and before that the 80s and 90s :)

mine kinda has a gap where the top and bottom come together on the grip side ya could slide a piece of gaf tape thickness into like it does not quite sit down perfect flat
    in some ways the older EM-5 grip is a better fit and more solid :( still the camera is nicer :)
    this grip is more comfy on the hands though and fits better

put a touch of gaf tape on the non grip side enough to kinda push down the grip side as it tightens fits better now ? hmm kinda strange

3. cd23murray

cd23murray Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Mine is out for delivery now. I will let you know when it shows ups.

4. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    cd23murray, please keep us informed of how your grip fits. It seems odd that there might be a gap as this setup is supposed to be weather resistant.
    Bobby

5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It's a good question... Is the battery grip weather sealed? I would think not, just considering what it is. Normally we have the rubber covering over the contacts on the bottom of the camera, and I don't think the grip is achieving much of a weather seal by screw tightening alone. The pins would be vulnerable, assuming any water gets in that seam.

6. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    According to Olympus website the HLD-7 is dust and weather resistant:
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/power-battery-holder-hld-7-for-e-m1.html
    Maybe there is a gasket on the HLD-7 that surrounds the pins?
    Bobby