HLD-7 question for those who have it

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bcaslis, Oct 18, 2013.

1. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I managed to pick up an HLD-7 this morning for my E-M1. Seems very nice. The one thing that seemed strange was the alignment on the grip side seems a tiny bit off in that the front edge of the HLD-7 aligns more with the rubber of EM-1 grip inside of the bottom of the E-M1. Seems to be designed this way, rather than a defect on mine.

Is everyone's like this?
  2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    OK shocked mail just dropped it off :)

yes mine aligns with the rubber also seems logical in a sense of feel
    all my other cameras in past were 1 series with no grips have not had a grip on a camera since my other OMD and before that the 80s and 90s :)

mine kinda has a gap where the top and bottom come together on the grip side ya could slide a piece of gaf tape thickness into like it does not quite sit down perfect flat
    in some ways the older EM-5 grip is a better fit and more solid :( still the camera is nicer :)
    this grip is more comfy on the hands though and fits better

put a touch of gaf tape on the non grip side enough to kinda push down the grip side as it tightens fits better now ? hmm kinda strange
  3. cd23murray

cd23murray Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Mine is out for delivery now. I will let you know when it shows ups.
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    cd23murray, please keep us informed of how your grip fits. It seems odd that there might be a gap as this setup is supposed to be weather resistant.
  5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    It's a good question... Is the battery grip weather sealed? I would think not, just considering what it is. Normally we have the rubber covering over the contacts on the bottom of the camera, and I don't think the grip is achieving much of a weather seal by screw tightening alone. The pins would be vulnerable, assuming any water gets in that seam.
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    According to Olympus website the HLD-7 is dust and weather resistant:
    Maybe there is a gasket on the HLD-7 that surrounds the pins?