HLD-7 + Hand Strap for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Jan 31, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    A few months back I ordered a hand strap for the E-M1, and it didn't really take long before it annoyed me. The camera was too small to use it without the camera grip so I tossed it aside thinking I'd try it again later.

Earlier this week I ordered the HLD-7, and now I can't find the hand strap (go figure). If it doesn't turn up here in a week or so I may order another one. Has anyone used a hand strap that they recommend?

I really like the HLD-7 on the E-M1. It changes the feel of the camera. Not sure I'd use it much for leisure / travel as it adds a fair amount of bulk / weight with the battery in it, but I like it a lot for portraits.

2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
  3. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    I recently wrote up my experiences with the Herringbone leather hand strap (which I highly recommend...kinda). You can look it up in the Accessories forum, or you can link to it here:

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Hand straps, IMVHO, are an accident waiting to happen, It's impossible to change lenses/remove grip one-handed.

I use a neck strap wrapped around my hand for shooting and looped around my neck when changing lenses....best of both worlds.

I can remove the grip from the E-M1 whenever necessity dictates and still be left with the E-M1 safely hanging around my neck.
  5. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Was going to suggest that, too. I've used their adapters for years on my DSLRs. Much nicer than being forced to use a vertical grip, and you can get them with an Arca Swiss plate on, if you use those with your tripod.

Huh? It's no worse than changing lenses with no strap. In fact, it's a bit better, because it's something else to grab onto. I often loop a finger or two into the hand strap, or just carry it by the hand strap as if it were a carrying handle. It's a versatile addition, and much less bulky than a neck strap.

Now that I've dumped my DSLRs and I have a 12-40 on my EM1, it might be time to add a hand strap. I'm torn, because shooting with the rear LCD has changed my grip a bit, and I don't shoot from the eye as much anymore.
  6. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    You don't necessarily have to choose one or the other - if you're using an accessory with a built-in strap lug (like the HLD-6/7 or the RSS plate), remember that the tripod socket is free. Simply attach the neck strap to a swiveled eyelet (Black Rapid makes quite a few models), or for an even simpler solution, attach it to the D-ring on the bottom of an extra tripod plate. Easy on, easy off.

And as far as changing lenses one-handed - that seems to me much more likely to result in an accident than using a hand strap.
  7. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    It's even easier than that. The Canon hand strap that I use has a three-slot buckle that--when assembled correctly--leaves a slot free at the top of the strap to attach a neck/shoulder strap. I use the left lug on the camera and this buckle to attach my shoulder straps. Been doing it for years, it works great!

The Black Rapid style of strap lug is pretty nifty, but when I was looking for a more comfortable strap it was for my 300/2.8, which I wasn't comfortable carrying that way.