1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HLD-6: You won't believe this

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Oct 13, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I recently bought an HLD-6 grip from an ad here in the forum. I didn't need the OM-D grip up to now that I have some assignments that require extended battery life and better vertical handling. That said, the HLD-6 is awesome in use. Both horizontal and vertical useability of the camera increases tenfold. But that's not the point here.

Before I continue, and drive you crazy, here is a disclaimer: The grip was claimed to be, and indeed was, brand new and boxed (also came with warranty). There is no point arguing it is original.

The trouble is, the door for the battery grip, has the markings the other way around! :eek:

I was astonished, to say the least. The door couldn't close with the lever at the "open" position and, as I immediately found out, sure there was a little blade visible, and blocking it, when setting the lever at the OPEN state. In other words, the lever operates the other way around. In fact, trying to close the door at the OPEN position, probably bend the blade a little, so that the door couldn't close at all. Grrrrrr.... :mad:

This was fixed with a very slight bending of the blade to return it to its normal angle (which took a LOT of courage to do, I have to inform you...) and no disassembly of the mechanism or other intrusion.

But the whole situation begs the question. What the heck is happening??? I have seen photos of the grip online and the markings for the lever (open/close position) are in the same order as mine. But the mechanism seems to work the other way around!!

Did Olympus change the mechanism at some point, while leaving the markings the same on the exterior?

Any contribution in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:

2. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I checked my grip: it looks fine. The lever and markings look exactly like those on the camera.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You own a camera... take a picture of it.

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The markings on my grip look "correct", but the actual mechanism works the other way around! :frown:

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

????? So what should we do? Lol why don't we all sue Olympus? Do u actually take pics with the camera? Hahahaha
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Mine is normal also.. the "Pac-Man" looking open is open, and the closed is closed.

Send it back to Olympus.. I'm sure they'd be interested to see it!

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I'll do that and post the pics here, asap. :smile:

8. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    mfw I read this thread and notice that its opposite on my OM-D and HLD-6 :eek:

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I took a look at my HLD-6 and thought it was opposite too. Then I went away for a while, came back, and looked again and decided that the whole setup for the catch handle on the door is confusing.

I started out by comparing the position of the touch area of the catch handle to the markings on the body of the HLD-6 and thought you were right. BUT—big "but"—the markings on the body are on one side of the catch handle and the touch area is on the other side. The catch handle that we move is round at the axis end but then sticks out a bit and comes to a point where the grip portion we move is located. Now, if we look at the handle in the same way we look at the hand on a clock, the "hand" would be pointing to the side opposite where the symbols are located so, when the point of the handle is pointing to your right and in the "up" position it is opposite the "open" symbol but the door is closed. When it's in the "down" position it is opposite the "closed" symbol but the door is open.

Now comes the fun bit. Look at the other side of the catch handle, the rounded end. On it, right next to the symbols, is a cute little glossy black pointer which you can barely see against the black plastic of the handle itself. That cute little glossy black pointer is actually pointing to the correct symbol.

It's that way on both my E-M5 and HLD-6, and it is confusing because my, and probably your, expectation is that the other end of the catch handle is the "pointer" end of the handle because of the shape of the handle, but the real pointer is barely visible at the other end of the catch handle and pointing to the correct symbol while I, and probably you, are associating the other end of the handle as the pointer and matching it against the wrong symbol.

10. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Wow..lots of words to describe the 'problem'

David A is right in that there is a mark on the catch which indicates either open or closed. If your grip looks like these pics, then there is nothing odd about it, they are all like this:

Door locked

grip1.

Door unlocked

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Same here ):

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I might as well change the title of the thread to "you won't believe what an idiot I am". :redface::redface::redface:

Thanks to al and especially David A and Glenn S. I hadn't even noticed the small indicator notch. :frown: Guess I'll have to put a drop of fluorescent orange paint in it, just to be sure my double digit IQ doesn't betray me again. :redface:

So I'll put on my pointy "idiot" hat and go sit in the corner for a while. :tongue: Thanks again for the clarifications.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hhahaahahhah I knew it from the begining .. but never wanted to point out that u are so wise ..hhhhahaah. Actually in first instance any body can get it wrong but if u look carefully , it makes a sense . Having said that , I wont bother too much .:thumbup:

14. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

hmmmmmm. I can see why some would be puzzled given the configuration of the little lever and the nearly invisible speck that is the actual indicater. Me, I can't see the darn thing at all unless I put on my extra strong reading glasses and just went with feel. In one position the door is openable and in the other it is not. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    you will a have of company in that corner, including me :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    You dummy! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

LOL. I'm old school, I learnt to read first, to write second, and to take pictures many years after I learnt to read and write :)

So, in a stupid attempt at self-justification, remembering the old adage about a picture being worth a thousand words, I did a word count of my original post: 350 words. You did a hell of a lot better with 2 pictures than I could have done with 6 times the number of words so we can both be glad I didn't try.

Seriously however, I just didn't think about grabbing a second camera and taking some photos. What kind of a photographer am I if I reach for words first?

18. canuck88

canuck88 New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    This thread is epic - may it live forever!

19. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Tee Hee. In another life I used to be a Technical Author but I realised that a couple of pics here would solve the 'problem'. What kind of author does that make me, when I reach for a camera first? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1