HLD-6 vs. Half case on OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 15, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Has anyone done some comparisons on the grip/handling of your OMD with the HLD-6 grip attachment vs. a 1/2 case. I've read some threads where folks say a 1/2 case has improved the grip. It looks smoother to me, so that seems backwards, but would love to hear comparisons of a 1/2 case to an HLD-6 or some explanation as to how the 1/2 case improves the grip.

Thanks for any help.
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unless you are looking for the shutter buttons and extra battery compartment, I would just get the 1/2 case.

I like the handling of the HLD6... feels really comfortable but at a premium price. The 1/2 case on my E-PL1 also feels great but in a different way... via a better surface rather than an actual grip.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'll let you know when I get the CS-36FBC, which is coming out in a few weeks.
  4. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Well you have a 100-300mm, how does it feel without the grip? For me it was difficult to hold comfortably and the HLD-6 made it much much better.
  5. usayit

Yes... I agree. Heavier lenses (adapted and 100-300) are easier to hold with the grip.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Yes, the HLD-6 makes the 100-300 workable. The FL-600R is also hard without the HLD-6.

BUT, I had the EPM1 with the 100-300 (!) so, I really ended up holding the lens anyway, and it's a rare shoot lens for me (mostly kids events). I am thinking of returning the FL-600R and just sticking with the FL-300R for now, which lessens the need for the HLD-6.

I got both the grip and the FL-600R, but keeping them both hurts a bit ($600!) but it's tough to use the flash without the grip, so it's like all or nothing.

The FL-300R is really versatile, but just slow to initial charge, and you cannot easily diffuse (in cases where there's no way to bounce) and even when you bounce, it leans back over the eyepiece, so you have to use the LCD when bouncing the FL-300R, which isn't the case with the 600R.
  7. usayit

I'm still a bit bummed out... still can't get the FL-300R to work with my OMD. Works fine with the E-PL1. Oh well... sorry off topic. I rely mostly on older flashes anyways.
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I've used both and opted to keep the HLD6 grip.

I had the Gariz special edition half-case which is the more expensive, more premium version with the nicely textured surface. It improved the feel and handling of the EM5 significantly. Though still not entirely convinced, I purchased the HLD6 and it hasn't left my camera since, and since then I have sold my Gariz half-case. I don't use the the portrait section of the grip at all, maybe because I don't mind spending 20 seconds to get to my battery compartment every 300 or so shots. No big deal for me.

The HLD6 material is nice and grippy and has a no-nonsense genuinely chunky profile...perfect for my hands and the way I hold a camera. And that is what it will essentially boil down to...how YOU hold a camera. For me the Gariz half-case was a great improvement....but the HLD6 was a drastic improvement.

I don't think it would be inflammatory of me to suggest that although Olympus got so much right with the EM5, VERY right in fact....the handling/ergonomics wasn't one of them. I don't think they would have compromised the size and aesthetic theme of the camera all that much had they gave the shutter side of the body a more prominently contoured grip area. But then again....they would have sold way less HLD6 units !!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree with Livnius.The grip just makes this camera such a complete package that, I feel,Olympus should have offered it as a discounted package deal.The case seems like a less expensive way of improving the handling.But it's a choice of one or the other.When I travel with the camera, I will leave the grip home because I like to pare everything down to bare bones so I am glad that I have the removable option.I think the grip actually makes the camera more attractive as well.
  10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    There is a company out of Japan making a half case with a grip that looks to be comparable in size to the HLD-6...torii koubou. Great design, but costs almost as much as the HLD-6. It is the only case I've seen that looks comparable though for feel and handling.
  11. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    The half case probably improves grip by thickening the OM-D's body, not just by its textures. By itself, the OM-D's body is simply too thin (too little surface) that most adult holding it would need to bear the (right side) weight with only 2 fingers: thumb and middle finger (index finger just rests atop the shutter). Worse yet, it's thin enough that people big hands will need to bear the weight with just the tips of their fingers.

The HLD-6 grip adds the missing surface area to give something that your fingers can wrap around. It's almost the difference between wrapping your hands on a handgun vs holding a bottle of soda with the tips of your fingers.

Moreover with the hld-6 grip, the shutter button and dial sits at a p-e-r-f-e-c-t position and distance for me. Not only does it make the handling and shooting more secure and comfortable, it makes adjusting the dial (for aperture, shutter, etc) and reviewing pictures soooooo much better.
    • Like Like x 1