HLD-6 grip for OM-D is AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 24, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    What a difference it makes! :bravo-009:

Olympus should have a package deal:

• OM-D with Spare Battery
    • HLD-6 Grip
    • Olympus 45mm 1.8
    • Olympus 12mm 2.0
    • Olympus 60mm Macro

If they had a 25mm they would be golden!
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    They did, you could buy an OMD and get $150 rebate on each oly lens up to 3 in total. So you could have saved $450 on your list of glass and the OMD.
  3. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
  4. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Yeah it just sucks that I have to take the grip off every time I wanna charge my batteries.
  5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Do you have your camera set to use the grip battery first, so you only have to charge that one if you haven't drained the first battery completely?

For me it's not too big of a problem since I don't usually shoot so many photos in one session/day that I drain a battery. The situation where I have to take the grip off for the battery is when I only use the horizontal grip.

The grip is pretty awesome. I was shooting around Tokyo with the 7-14 and 12-35 and the full grip makes it very comfortable to adjust exposures for vertical shots. It also helps the user understand why they placed the power switch where they did! :thumbup:
  6. sueifong

sueifong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    What will be more awesome is that the grip is build-in like sony nex-7 or nex-5n.
  7. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I shot the entire day, hot weather, with the OM-D and the battery was still relatively charged. Plus, I set it up so the grip battery is used first.

Those with grips- what do you use the 2 Fn buttons for?
  8. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I use mine for the teleconverter and iso
  9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada

What is "more awesome" is having the CHOICE like the E-M5/HLD-6 allows you to have!

The barebones E-M5 is the way SLR cameras used to be, before companies started producing the big, fat, bulky, ugly cameras. I used a normal sized SLR for 20 years before being forced to switch to poorly designed cameras with oversized grips.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Careful with this one. In a lot if cases my genuine oly battery says 2/3 full after an entire day, then goes down to almost zero a few minutes later. It can say its fully charges but the accuracy tends to be way off.
  11. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    That's the beauty of the E-M5: it's modular. It fits in a coat pocket with a great 20mm pancake and no grip. Or you can dress it up with flash, grip and long zoom, which provides great handling. And everything in between.

The more I use it, the more I appreciate the m43 format's potential.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought the grip and its been on my Omd up until this week, I took it off for a work trip to conserve space. It feels weird not having the grip on it now, like I'm forcefully griping it by just my finger tips. I bought the matching hand strap that connects to the battery section and the combination of the two makes a huge difference.
  13. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    By the way guys... After having the hl6 for a while, do you find that the screw at the bottom is coming ever so slightly, looser?

I'm getting some slight movement in my grip. Probably took the dang thing on and off too many times already (battery changes).
  14. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Jimmy the Cricket
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Perhaps I have odd hands. They are what I'd describe as small to medium. I'm also a guitar player. I won't take the full grip off. It just fits in my hands so perfectly I don't want it any other way. The extra button choices are such a plus as well. I don't bother with placing a battery in the body. I always just charge up the two if I feel I'm out for a long day, and worst case in 15 seconds have the new battery in place via the grip. There's no sense in doing it any other way for me. I think they did a great job designing this. To me it is now part of the camera, not an option.:tongue:
  16. Curley

Curley Mu-43 Regular

Here's another vote for the awesomeness of the HLD-6. It improves the ergonomics of the OM-D exponentially, whether you use just the small section or both pieces.

I tried the inexpensive grip from JB (purchased on Amazon), but it was very uncomfortable in my hand, and made it difficult to reach the shutter button. But if it fits your hand, you may be happy with it.

The only drawback to the HLD-6 is its high price. I never would have paid $299 for it, because I'll hardly ever use the bottom portion of the grip, which is where most of the cost is incurred, I think.

But with Olympus' $50 rebate, and using gift cards I got for Christmas, I only ended up paying $75 out of pocket for the HLD-6. I can live with that. :smile:

If Olympus would market the upper portion of the grip by itself for, say, $125, it could sell a million of them.
  17. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    I don't have a battery in the camera, just one in the grip, only takes seconds to change
  18. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The grip used everyday makes light work of the high price it cost. I love the way it presents the shutter button in a natural location for the index finger, unlike the unnatural location that other grip enhancements impose on the user. (ones that feature a grip but rely on the existing shutter button location).
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I always had grips with my cameras. Even my SLR's had grips (motor drives). Yesterday, I shot a theatrical performance, (dress rehearsal). Four continuous hours and some 1400 shots later my two OMD's were still seamlessly plugging away without a battery change. The grip makes vertical shooting a joy.

I love the grip.

20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The full grip creates a Jekyll / Hyde thing when it comes to carry bags. I was finally settled down with my bag insanity housing my DSLR. And now the OM-D plus full grip brought it back with a vengeance. (Don't even mention about maintaining the accessory flash on the hot shoe plus a plate on the bottom.) The camera starts getting prodigious; almost requiring something like a Lowepro 65 Pro AW to contain gripped body and lens. (bag is oversized, actually. I checked ...)