1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

History of photography books?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by manzoid, Jul 1, 2013.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    And while ago I took a Photoshop course, and the lecturer had been into photography since before I was born. The course itself was useful, but my favorite part was listening to him talk about the history and technology that impacted photography, like the development of colour film or aspherical lenses... I also found the article on lens genealogy posted on lensrentals blogs fascinating. The history surrounding tessars, sonnars and double gauss...

No I am NOT joking... I am a science geek, and I like obsessing over gear specs and reviews too.

Does anyone know of a book or books that gets into this sort of subject matter? I'm kind of thinking along the lines of Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything but for photographers.

2. DeepBlue

DeepBlue New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Mike
  3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    That does indeed look like what I'm after. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Cheers!

Sent from my XT885 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Among the 150+ free photography books I've downloaded for my 'Kindle' (actually the PC emulator) are a couple of 1890s Histories.
    The evolution of Photography... by John Werge &
    The History & Practice of the art of Photography by Henry Hunt Snelling.
    I've collected so many of these historical photography books and have yet to sort out the better ones. I'm sure they wont be as well laid out or as colourful as the one already linked to but they may give a bit more on the early days for you!