1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Historic wooden yawl "Saunterer" at Dartmouth (Devon)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by grebeman, Mar 16, 2011.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    This is one for you Alan. I went over to Dartmouth today by bus for a dental appointment (we draw a veil over that) and it being a beautiful day I had my lunch on the quay front.
    I began to take a few pictures of this yacht before I saw the name "Saunterer" and a little bell started to ring.
    She was built in 1900 by Charles Sibbick and Co, Cowes, Isle of Wight, teak planks on sawn oak frames, 47 feet oa, 16 tons.
    The little bell proved to be correct, apart from her age and being one of the oldest vessels with A1 classification at Lloyds she is famous for once being owned by Capt Oates who died with Capt Scott returning from the south pole in 1912.

1020149_1.
    Panasonic G1 with 20mm, f/1.7 @ f/4, 1/2500 sec, iso 200

Panasonic G1 with 20mm, f/1.7 @ f/4, 1/2500 sec, iso 100

Barrie

• Like Like x 6
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    She's a historic beauty

Thanks barrie,

She not only beautiful, but of historic significance as well. Nice pics!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks for that Alan. I understand that she has a caring owner who has done some significant restoration, with more to come, She must be much as original, right down to the open cockpit, the only "modern" addition being the engine and it's exhaust.
    A shame that the background is a bit busy, that looks like another veteran behind Saunterer, but I've no idea what it is.
    I'm due another dental appointment next week, so weather permitting I'll have another look, couldn't believe it today, up to 17 deg C, more like May, bring it on I say.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Don't you just love your 20mm lens?

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Alan,
    This might sound like heresy, but I would have normally used one of my Voigtlander rangefinder lenses, thought I'd give the 20mm an outing, doesn't perform too badly I have to say :biggrin:

Barrie