Hiring the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 - tips for using it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jamespetts, Mar 1, 2016.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have booked a hire of the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 this coming week-end to take photographs of wading birds at a London bird sanctuary, along with the EC20 teleconverter. I already have the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 and EC14 teleconverter, which combination I used last time that I went in 2014 with some good results, but many small bird shaped specks in large quantities of background. I will be using them with an E-M1 and a good tripod.

The bird sanctuary has a number of permanent hides for looking at (and photographing) wild birds, and seems to be a very popular spot with photographers. There are also some areas in which captive water birds are kept, and these are easy to photograph with the 50-200mm without any teleconverter, but I am wanting to take pictures of the wild birds on this occasion.

I have not used a lens quite this long before (the longest being the 283mm of the 50-200mm multiplied by the 1.4x teleconverter), and I should be grateful for any tips that people may have for using such a thing effectively. I have found in the past that the small focus points are most useful for rapid focussing with the 50-200mm.
  2. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    use a monopod .... if for no other reason than weight.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've not got any experience, but I'd love to see the images you catch.