Hiring the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 - tips for using it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jamespetts, Mar 1, 2016.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have booked a hire of the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 this coming week-end to take photographs of wading birds at a London bird sanctuary, along with the EC20 teleconverter. I already have the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 and EC14 teleconverter, which combination I used last time that I went in 2014 with some good results, but many small bird shaped specks in large quantities of background. I will be using them with an E-M1 and a good tripod.

The bird sanctuary has a number of permanent hides for looking at (and photographing) wild birds, and seems to be a very popular spot with photographers. There are also some areas in which captive water birds are kept, and these are easy to photograph with the 50-200mm without any teleconverter, but I am wanting to take pictures of the wild birds on this occasion.

I have not used a lens quite this long before (the longest being the 283mm of the 50-200mm multiplied by the 1.4x teleconverter), and I should be grateful for any tips that people may have for using such a thing effectively. I have found in the past that the small focus points are most useful for rapid focussing with the 50-200mm.

2. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    use a monopod .... if for no other reason than weight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've not got any experience, but I'd love to see the images you catch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.