1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hip Hop Concert Photos

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by danska, Jan 18, 2013.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    This was my second concert shooting photos, the first was a friend's band and this time I shot some for use on the opbmusic website. The aforementioned friend is a guest DJ there and we are thinking of starting to do write-ups with photos for local Portland area shows for the OPB blog.

Here is the link that goes to the post:

opbmusic: Music Blog: Photo Review: PDX/Rx

Here are a few my picks. Metering is something I'm going to need to seriously work on for these types of things. I could have had a lot of better shots had I not had so much subject blur. It's a tricky form of shooting, especially in lower budget (and lit) studios. Appreciate input and advice on them. There is a couple with the 12-35mm, 25mm, and Oly 45mm. Most things I just shot with the EM-5, but I had the GX1 with a second lens on just in case.

8390559153_b92db51966_b.
    OBP PDX/Rx TxE by danska8, on Flickr

8390558979_48b6eea29c_b.
    OBP PDX/Rx TxE by danska8, on Flickr

GX1:

8390563075_943c801f16_b.
    OBP PDX/Rx Vinnie DeWayne by danska8, on Flickr

8391632746_545d3e69cb_b.
    OBP PDX/Rx Mic Capes by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  2. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Very cool! Its hard to get these shots in low light with people jumping around in my limited experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice one mate.
    I imagine for something like this the 75 or 35-100 would be great to have for those in close tight shots capturing an artists expression...the type of shot that we've often seen in Gary's sets.

Good work man, it would be awesome to be involved in something like this. I'd like to find out one day what it would be like to work with a more results driven focus...not so much as a paid 'pro' per se, something more like this. Not too long ago I did a favour for some close friends and shot their daughters confirmation day, it was an interesting experience working with the knowledge that there was a defined expectation as to what and why I was shooting.

Good luck mate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lennyKravic

lennyKravic Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    I think very nice shots.
    Metering in this kind of places is always tricky (ehm...nightmare) and I preffer not to rely on camera. I just use full manual and adjusting when shots become too dark and trying to keep shutter speeds in good values (which means going up ISO, on my GX1 last I must go to 3200). But I shot mostly rock music, which I find performers more steady than in hiphop I think :) This type of photography is so much fun for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    For sure, the hip-hop show was much more difficult than the rock show I did. Those guys have their hands up in the air every other second, non-stop movement. Thanks!

Thanks Joe for your input and comments!

I just bought the 75mm for a few reasons but think it will work great for shows. The 60mm worked pretty well too for the other concert I went to but could have used the extra stop for shutter speeds. Gary's stuff is pretty amazing, I'm certainly trying to pick some things up from him about doing events, and he's given me some great tips. One thing I need is a little more stage access, which we're working on getting through the radio station now. Definitely my goal here is provide the best quality shots I can, and hopefully increase my skills and performance to a higher level. I'm not that interested in getting paid for it, but if I got to that level in the future I probably wouldn't say no! For now it's just a learning experience, and it'll be fun to start doing a little more complete write-up on performances.

For sure. Metering!?! The camera gets confused all the time. I was shooting in aperture priority, and just using my EV dial as I saw fit. I'm going to start working more with center weighted and spot metering for the next show I do. Most of these were 3200-4000 ISO. It is a lot of fun, even if I don't really like the music, who cares! :biggrin:

6. TDP

TDP Guest

The third one is sweet

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The suggestion on manual shooting is a good one as well as spot metering. I've made it a point the past month or so to start shooting in manual mode the majority of the time to get me better in touch with my camera and exposure settings in general. I've been *much* happier with my low light results since, mostly because it's made me pay more attention to shutter speed and thus avoid motion blur.

IF the lighting isn't constantly changing in overall brightness, you may find it will work well to switch into manual mode, get your exposure dialed in, and leave it. When I was shooting in my friend's blacksmith shop the fluorescent lights were wreaking havoc on the meter in the camera and it was all over the map. At his brother's suggestion (also a photographer) I switched to manual mode, got it dialed in and didn't have to touch it the rest of the afternoon. The catch is if you're somewhere where the light isn't relatively static, you'll be dialing in compensation or adjusting in between shots more often.

On a related note - I've actually been shooting M mode with auto-ISO on my Nikon a lot (I know, counter-intuitive to some), and I was disappointed to find I can't do the same on the Panasonic cameras. Not sure if that might be doable on the OM-D though. It's a nice balance with able to control aperture and shutter speed to avoid motion blur and get the DoF you want, but still have auto-ISO to adjust for varied lighting conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Pretty nice. Good colors. I hate when music venues play around too much with some gaudy colored lighting.
    Did you do some noise reduction on these files or is it straight out of EM5? I am curious because I see they are mostly ISO 3200. There's some fine grained noise but it's not bad.
    With GX1 I use ISO 3200 in this lighting can be pretty bad :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks for the input, Jay. You and I have talked a bit about this topic lately and I think for me at this point it's a matter of just more practice with metering and finding what works out. I don't think the EM-5 does auto-iso in manual, but I'm not 100% sure. 3200 is pretty much what you need in environments like this though for anything moving. Unless I had one of the Voigtlanders or something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks. I actually de-saturated most of these a bit, because the lights do get too intense. This venue wasn't as bad as some though. I did use Dfine 2.0 to noise reduce, in some cases it does a lot, in others (such as that GX1 shot above @ 3200) it does nothing. I should learn how to use it a little more and probably could get even better results. I find it works much better than LR 4, where I start to lose too much detail right away. If you are underexposed at all, noise becomes an issue quickly, which is really why I just want to meter and expose these types of things in a different manner. I have a lot of well exposed photos that are nice and sharp, but there is a ton of subject blur.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting shots. Nicely done, particularly with the lighting. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks. Looking forward to showing you guys improvements I can make for the next series.