Hints on using manual focus lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillN, Jan 23, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    As lots will be using older MF lenses I thought that it would be a good idea to post a few hints - maybe we could use this thread for that purpose.

On my G1 - finding the correct exposure

I started using the manual, (M) setting
    setting the aperture on the lens and then twiddling around with the "wheel" (which I am not keen on!!), to get the correct overall correct exposure

Now I just use aperture priority mode, (A), set the aperture on the lens and the camera works out the shutter speed - no need to twiddle with the "wheel"

hope this helps if you are not aware of it

• Like Like x 4
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    thats
    my default mode for legacy glass on the ep1 and the gf1

• Like Like x 2
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks

How do you get the camera to default to that setting when you fit a MF lens - is there a menu item for this

I have to set mine to A manually every time I fit a MF lens

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill,

you can't set it up as a default (in response to fitting a legacy lens)... you have to move the exposure dial to 'A' for aperture priority.

Cheers

Brian

5. WaterDog

WaterDog Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    focus assist for MF lenses

On the E-P1, I will press the INFO button until the "zoom" display appears. Then I will roughly compose my shot, press the OK button to enlarge the display 7x/10x, do my fine focusing, and the press the OK button to return to a full display to finalize my composition before taking the shot.

This is a bit tedious, but I find focusing with the normal 1x display inadequate to get sharp focus. Also when enlarged, hand held camera shake is pretty bad, so a monopod helps, unless you are already shooting on a tripod, or can brace your arm.

Can any one comment on the above procedure for Panasonic m4/3 cameras?

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    On the E-P1, in the MF assist screen I move the green box to the patch in the composed frame where I want critical focus...

I then zoom in to 7x/10x, half press the shutter release button (which gives me less shake when I'm ready to squeeze it all the way down) and focus the lens gently.

I then take the shot - without zooming out - there's no need, since the zoom box has been moved to the critical focus patch... thereby 'anchoring' the composition.

Hope that makes sense, I can take multiple shots with the MF assist zoomed view enabled. Zooming out to full view only when I want to recompose.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  7. rich s

rich s New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Brittany, France

Brian - life would be so much easier if Oly simply used the shutter button to return to full view (as G1). I've been using Leica Summricons 35 & 50 this past week on the E-P1 and this is the most frustrating aspect of MF! There's always some element of movement (esp as shallow DOF in low light wide open) and although I've occasionally tried shooting in 7x or 10x zoom mode I can't adapt to that! :frown:

8. WaterDog

WaterDog Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I have seen some DSLRs that still provide focus confirmation even though you are using a manual focus lens. With the E-P1 I only get focus confirmation in AF mode with my Oly lens. If I use this lens in MF mode, or a pure MF lens, there is no green dot confirmation. Would be a nice feature to have...

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That would be every Pentax dslr! Curious, I noticed you have the voigtlander k-m4/3 adapter, does it have a mechanical aperture control? I ordered a cheap one on ebay to get my feet wet with my Pentax k lenses. I know the novoflex has the mechanical aperture movement which would be nice for my newer pentax lenses without an aperture ring.

10. rich s

rich s New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Brittany, France
    Or the Panny Leica L1 (not sure about the L10 as I've never used that)
    The L1 works well, and I might revert to that, its going back to a big camera again, and at the same time you have to put up with the various quirks of the camera (small OVF, different IF & handling to most dslr's)

Just give us a little green confirm lamp please Oly .....!:dash2: