Hiking with the Pen F (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tonyturley, Mar 13, 2016.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    As mentioned in another thread or two, I rented a black Pen F for the weekend to check it out. I took it - along with my new E-M1 - on an 11 mile hike through the mountains of southern West Virginia. I had to make 10 water crossings over one of our rushing streams, and I was very cautious, to say the least. Some of the crossings were precarious, with water more than half way up my shin. Both cameras are insured, but a good hiking pole still is useful at times like that.

The day started out gloomy and overcast, but turned partly cloudy and sunny by about noon. You can see the difference in the photos. I did some low angle shots with the camera on a short tripod, and the articulating screen was useful for that. I fiddled with the bold mono filter, and you'll see in some photos I filtered for green or yellow. I also tried B&W with a red filter. I didn't try the High Res photo option. I even did a video of a large, wide waterfall, but the file is huge, and I have no idea how to share it.

I'll be sending the Pen F back tomorrow. I won't be buying one for myself, but it seemed to be a well built, quality camera.

All photos taken with a Lumix 20mm/1.7.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  2. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
  3. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Great pics! I went to grad school in PGH and hiked/mountain biked on the PA/WV border at Ohiopyle State Park almost every weekend.

Thanks for sharing your impression of the Pen F.

4. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    You're welcome, Joe. I'm out in one of our parks almost every weekend, too, unless I have some other commitment. WV has some lovely scenery.

• Agree Agree x 1