1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hiking in Northern England

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dyrmaker83, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    Hi everyone,

I debated on where to post this and settled on Other Discussions because I don't have any pictures to share...yet.

My wife and I are beginning to plan a hiking trip to the northern English countryside next fall, and while I'm also thinking about potential camera equipment, we're both working on planning a route along the Dales Way. We did a two week hike in the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District almost 9 years ago (including stops in Hawes and Ambleside), so we're familiar with the terrain and area. So for any of you UK members, any tips or suggestions for us?

We're looking to do another two week excursion, and while the idea of doing the same route is nostalgic, we're looking into rambling through some new areas. If anyone has any favorite trail segments, must-photographic vistas or sights, I'd love to hear about them. Do you have a favorite gear setup or lens while hiking? I'd like to hear abo If you have any pictures to share, then please do! I know I've seen a number of great English/Scottish countryside shots here.

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Northumberland is a great location with wind swept seascapes and big skys, Lindasfarne (Holy Island)

Further South is Whitby, Staithes, Robin Hoods Bay and Flamborough head, all on the coast

flam1.
    flamborough head

Further inland there is York, Harrogate and lots of countryside

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Add Grassington, it's a quaint Yorkshire village with cobbled streets, and a great centre to use as a base for touring the dales.
    They dress-up Grassington, both the village and the locals, for Dickensian weekends, the last two before Christmas.

4. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    Great stuff guys, thanks. I was actually in Grassington on my last trip, but I'll have to look through my old pictures and notes to remember it a little better.

6. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike