1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Highligh&Shadow Control" panel in Olympus Viewer 3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joshlac, Sep 28, 2013.

1. joshlac

joshlac New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2013
    Hi All,

I'm trying to edit highlighs and shadows in RAW file taken with OM-D E-M5.
    Could anyone please tell me how to activate this panel in Olympus Viewer 3 (mac version 1.1) so I could change the H&S curve?

Please see attached screenshot.

Kind Regards,
    Jan

Attached Files:

2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I have the same on Windows 7 x64 with the same greyed out settings and inability to change it. ( I only downloaded the Raw Viewer in hopes it would show me the AF Memo [ie: where the focus point was] on my raw files, but it doesn't ).

For that kind of setting though, I usually just use the Adobe camera raw import feature of Photoshop CS6.

3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I also have OV3 on Win64. But I don't even see the highlight/shadow control; the RAW1 tools on my setup go straight from Picture Mode to Gradation.

I've looked at the "customize edit pallette" box and all checkmarks are there. But no highlight/shadow option.

This makes OV3 pretty useless in my opinion. Even though it does a nice job on the default RAW processing.

4. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    You probably have to turn on expert mode for the Raw2 tab to show. But I agree with you OV3 in itself is pretty useless seeing as I can already do most of what it does in the default Adobe tools and such (and don't really care to re-process Art filters into Jpeg).

also I noticed that if I try to export from OV3 it doesn't seem capable of saving to a 16bit Tiff, only 8bit, so that kind of counts that out of my workflow.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Highlight and Shadow was added with the last update about the time the E-M1 was announced. I suspect it will not be grayed out for E-M1 owners as they're the only ones with TruePic VII. Anyone with an E-M1 want to check and let us know?

6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Makes sense, especially if the E-M1 provides that extra information in their own raw format. (an informational message in the UI on Olympus Part would be better though :p)

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    A version of this really should be available for every camera since the E-PL2 since they can all do custom gradation curves, and that's all this looks like.

8. joshlac

joshlac New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2013
    So for now it's a bug, not a feature...:mad:

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It says TruePic VII in the lower right hand corner. Only the E-M1 has TruePic VII.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's been added for other cameras through the last couple of software updates.

• Like Like x 1