Higher Build Quality 25 & 45 from Oly ???

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Muntjack, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    When all the dust has settled on their ranges does anyone think we might be blessed with higher quality versions of these two lenses?

I'd really like to see a 25mm 1.8 made in glorious metal with the great clutch mechanism. I could live with only that one lens probably.
    At present I see no decisive advantage swapping my PL25 for the much smaller Oly - but if it were made like the 12 & 17 it would be another story.

A bit more to pay of course but so what !

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    That would be nice. I don't like how the Oly 25 and 45's silver color doesn't match the silver color of the 17 and 75.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Personally I don't care for either the metal or the MF clutch, but it would be nice to see some consistency. At this stage, I think it makes sense to differentiate their lineup into 2 categories - Standard and Pro. Pro would mean weather-sealed, metal and with an MF clutch. Standard would mean without. The current setup of Pro, Premium and Standard doesn't make much sense to me.
  4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    The clutch-like mechanism would be killer. The lack of focusing scale (Indicated on the screen or physical. At least Panasonic gives you a clue that you're focusing near infinity...) isn't helpful and having a manual override to force the camera to focus when you're in a place where you cannot reliably focus via the EVF or LCD would be insanely useful.

I already know this because I have MFed in the dark before using the screen of a phone and the focusing scale to get my long exposures at night.
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess Oly can't win - most of us wanted the new 25 to be priced like the 45 (and so similar build). Personally, I'm ok with the build of the 25 and 45, but I agree that the silver colour isn't great on a silver body since the plastic silver does not match the metal silver on the camera.

I also agree that Oly could do with simplifying and standardising the lens designs. So far, we have:

- Kit lenses, 45-150 etc. Plastic mounts, plastic externals
    - Mid-range lenses, 9-18, 25, 45 etc. Metal mounts, plastic externals
    - Premium lenses, 12, 17, 75. Metal mounts, metal externals, not weather sealed
    - Pro lenses, 12-40, new 50-200. Metal mounts, metal externals, weather sealed

I'll also add that hood fixings are somewhat dissonant too:

- 17, 75 - metal hoods with thumbscrew tightening screws
    - 9-18 - square bayonet plastic hood, but not reversible
    - 25,45 - round bayonet plastic hood, reversible
    - 12-40 - petal plastic hood, reversible

Why such variation? They must have design teams that never talk to each other!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    I would be satisfied if they started including lens hoods with all lenses!
  7. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    + 1!
  8. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    There's no need to color coordinate them. They're not on the camera at the same time, and once a lens is mounted, you look through it, not at it.

For me it's all about the optics. The 45 delivers stunning results, and from what I've seen of the 25, it does, too. And both are available in black as well as silver.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    What gets me the most is that any lens with a premium price tag (relative to the system) like the Oly 75mm for $900 should be weather sealed and have a lens hood..... I mean come on!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    True. But my E-P5 is silver and black, and just wish the 25 and 45 had the same silver color as the body :smile:
  11. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I remember with great fondness the OM range of lenses. They all looked the same, same design, same operation, same feel, and from 21mm to 100mm they were virtually the same size. In those days you truly felt you had bought into a System.
  12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I'd rather they stay as they are and affordable (to me), thanks. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    My fear with two lens lines would be that the optical quality of the lower cost lenses would be deliberately diminished to make the higher priced ones a more attractive option. They would also be heavier. I like the fact that I can get good lenses from Olympus for a reasonable price.
  14. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I think what Olympus should do is offer limited edition "premium" versions of the 45 and 25 at a higher cost for those who care more about the build (not saying that in a backhanded manner, it matters). It's not like they need to change the optics, as they're excellent anyway (I consider both of these lenses better than the metal 12mm and 17mm lenses, for instance).
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
  16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Ehh, I don't know how much of a market there would be for that. They are meant to be common accessible lenses that everyone should be able to have. If the price is much higher, they stop being that.
    The only possibility I see is a faster version , like 1.4 that would justify a higher price and build quality.
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The 45 and 25 both hit sweet spots in terms of size and price and performance. From what I've seen of the 17 and 12, I'm less impressed.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Whilst I agree with the first point most folk that own the premium lenses like them very much. I only have the 17 and although not as sharp as the 45 it is nevertheless a great lens and wonderful to use on the EM5. I personally think the clutch feature is superbly useful and needs to be on other staple lenses and definitely on the 25.
    There is room for both in the system I think. If they want to make 1.4 versions I can live with that too!
  19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Replacing the plastic with metal would be a great idea - pay more for no functional gain! You must be in marketing??? :wink:
  20. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Having spent decades using Canon gear, I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the durability of Olympus cameras and lenses to withstand common scratches and scrapes from everyday use. In fact, I prefer Panny gear on that score, even if they are made of or clad in plastic. The Oly just seems more delicate in use.