High Speed Flash Sync

numberpro

Mu-43 Rookie
Ok, I have the GX7 and GH3. I assumed based on comments from the online community that they were not capable of HSS. However, I recently came across some other posters saying that the GX7 (and implication GH3) do have this capability. Could someone please clarify? Sorry if this is already covered, but I did a search and came up with conflicting comments.

If it is possible, what equipment and set up do you need. Ideal would be a multi-point speedlite setup on a wireless trigger. BTW, I tested the Yongnuo 560 II (which has the wireless trigger built in) and was able to push SS on the GX7 up to 400 with just a bit of banding on the top.

neelsd

Mu-43 Veteran
The first thing you need to understand is that the entire system (camera, flash trigger/receiver and flash) must be HSS capable. Asking if the camera can do HSS is not asking the entire question. However, the short answer is yes. I have both the GX7 & GH3 and both are HSS capable. I’ve done HSS using the built-in optical flash triggering system.

HSS using radio triggers is a bit more of a challenge. The problem is the fact that there is no real HSS radio triggers for Panasonic…at least I was not able to find any up to now. The accessory manufactures’ typically develops these tools for the Canon/Nikon market (it’s a larger market for their product) and not for the lower volume cameras. Would like some input from anyone who have a solution in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

numberpro

Mu-43 Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The first thing you need to understand is that the entire system (camera, flash trigger/receiver and flash) must be HSS capable. Asking if the camera can do HSS is not asking the entire question. However, the short answer is yes. I have both the GX7 & GH3 and both are HSS capable. I’ve done HSS using the built-in optical flash triggering system.

HSS using radio triggers is a bit more of a challenge. The problem is the fact that there is no real HSS radio triggers for Panasonic…at least I was not able to find any up to now. The accessory manufactures’ typically develops these tools for the Canon/Nikon market (it’s a larger market for their product) and not for the lower volume cameras. Would like some input from anyone who have a solution in this regard.
I
Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
Got it! I am still learning all the details about off camera flash. What equipment did you use? What model and brand of flash? Any details about how the lighting was set up would be great! The reason I am asking is that I did a beach bikini shoot and it would have been very useful to have some fill flash. Thanks!

numberpro

Mu-43 Rookie
Pictures please!
Sure! I'm still new to this forum, so learning about features like posting pics, but I will put some up for everyone's enjoyment. I do appreciate the help that I get from this community.

numberpro

Mu-43 Rookie

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's worth noting that the AK-TTL triggers work with the 4/3 standard as they're just relays, they digitize the light from the trigger flash, relay it via radio, then remit it using an LED. Technically they should work with any optical system. They do require that the slave meets the standards of the host system, if you want to set power without going for a walk I'm not sure if they would work with the Yongnuo, they might be able to trigger it with preset settings however you won't be able to adjust the settings via radio link.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom