1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

High Speed Flash Sync

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by numberpro, Jun 15, 2014.

1. numberpro

numberpro Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2014
    Ok, I have the GX7 and GH3. I assumed based on comments from the online community that they were not capable of HSS. However, I recently came across some other posters saying that the GX7 (and implication GH3) do have this capability. Could someone please clarify? Sorry if this is already covered, but I did a search and came up with conflicting comments.

If it is possible, what equipment and set up do you need. Ideal would be a multi-point speedlite setup on a wireless trigger. BTW, I tested the Yongnuo 560 II (which has the wireless trigger built in) and was able to push SS on the GX7 up to 400 with just a bit of banding on the top.

2. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    The first thing you need to understand is that the entire system (camera, flash trigger/receiver and flash) must be HSS capable. Asking if the camera can do HSS is not asking the entire question. However, the short answer is yes. I have both the GX7 & GH3 and both are HSS capable. I’ve done HSS using the built-in optical flash triggering system.

HSS using radio triggers is a bit more of a challenge. The problem is the fact that there is no real HSS radio triggers for Panasonic…at least I was not able to find any up to now. The accessory manufactures’ typically develops these tools for the Canon/Nikon market (it’s a larger market for their product) and not for the lower volume cameras. Would like some input from anyone who have a solution in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

3. numberpro

numberpro Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2014
    Got it! I am still learning all the details about off camera flash. What equipment did you use? What model and brand of flash? Any details about how the lighting was set up would be great! The reason I am asking is that I did a beach bikini shoot and it would have been very useful to have some fill flash. Thanks!

4. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    Pictures please!

5. numberpro

numberpro Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2014
    Sure! I'm still new to this forum, so learning about features like posting pics, but I will put some up for everyone's enjoyment. I do appreciate the help that I get from this community.

• Like Like x 1
  6. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    I'm using the Olympus FL600r flashes for HSS. These lights communicate using the GH3 and GX7 built in wireless protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

7. numberpro

numberpro Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2014
    I tried to upload but the file sizes were too large. So here is a link to the flickr album. I will add more as they are processed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96077131@N07/sets/72157643295405025/

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's worth noting that the AK-TTL triggers work with the 4/3 standard as they're just relays, they digitize the light from the trigger flash, relay it via radio, then remit it using an LED. Technically they should work with any optical system. They do require that the slave meets the standards of the host system, if you want to set power without going for a walk I'm not sure if they would work with the Yongnuo, they might be able to trigger it with preset settings however you won't be able to adjust the settings via radio link.