High Speed Flash Sync possible with GH4 & Metz 64???

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cacadepollo, Feb 6, 2015.

1. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    SoCal
    Hello yall. sorry if this has already been discussed - my advanced searching talents seem to be non-existent.

Anyways, so i just took the plunge and bought a GH4 as well as a Metz 64, and I'm trying to figure out how I could achieve High Speed Sync with this camera.
    Fumbling around with the settings for over an hour with no success, I'm really hoping my buyer's remorse is just a bad dream.

Can anyone help me out with setting up my GH4 so I could go do some flash photography out in the daylight?

thx!

2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Don't know if the Metz supports HS flash but if not, go the ND filter route

Low ISO mid range aperture 5.6 to 8 and ND filter to bring the shutter speed down to acceptable flash sync speed, although if its not a supper bright day the ND filter may not even be necessary.

It should tell you in the Metz instructions if it supports HS Flash like the Panasonix & Olympus Guns do ;)

Paul

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Page 160 of the manual on that flash indicates it's supported. As far as I know, you have to turn it on on the flash unit itself. It looks like it's a sub-menu option on the flash in either TTL mode or M (it'll do FP Sync in both TTL and M)

That flash looks interesting... is it really as big as it looks? and is that guide number inflated or does that thing practically create a mini-hiroshima at full power (GN = 210?!) ...

4. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    From reading the specs, the main difference between the new 64 and the old 58 appears to be that the 64 can focus its light into a narrower beam than the old 58. At wider angles the 64 seems to be just very slightly more powerful than the 58.

Personally I wish Profoto would add m43 compatibility to their B1, but that's not a speedlight but a battery powered studio flash so I'm comparing apples with train carts here, or something like that. :)

5. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    SoCal
    thanks for the responses!
    I still haven't figured it out, but I also haven't had much time to take it out in the daylight to see if I can get it going - I'm going to try it out in the next few days and will let yall know how it goes.

Also, for the size of this beast of a flash - here's some images. Honestly I actually wanted one of their smaller flashes, but B&H didn't have them available, and I needed a flash asap....and it turns out I didn't even use it because I couldn't figure out this high speed sync nonsense...haha

Screenshot 2015-02-08 20.00.33.

Screenshot 2015-02-08 20.00.43.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Hmm... I guess that's not too bad...

I see it's got an "Auto-non-TTL mode"... That might be useful for me, because I could use it with my E-M1 and my other film cameras...

Have you tried this? Set the flash to regular TTL and mount it on the camera. Then set the camera to "M" and raise the shutter speed. Does it let you go past 1/250? If so, does the display on the Metz change to show "TTL-FP" or TTL HSS?

7. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    SoCal
    OK!
    I think i figured it out!

The Metz display doesn't seem to say anything about FP or HSS, and the Manual suggests that the HSS/FP must be configured from the camera side.

While the Flash is on the shoe, the GH4 doesn't give me the "FIRING MODE" options under "FLASH" in the menu , which is where I thought might have the answer of the universe. So, I took the flash off to see what what would happen, and Boom, it gave me the option to change to Manual. I then changed the Firing to Manual, put the camera shooting mode in Manual, and just left the Flash in TTL, although the manual says either TTL or Manual will work with HSS.

I just fired off a very bright flash in my room with a shutter speed of 1/1000.

Thanks so much for the help!!!