1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

high shutter speed ISO dark images -OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gardengirl13, Aug 2, 2012.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    If the camera flashes at 4000 (meaning it's too bright) and I don't notice it until after I snap the photo it comes out black. If it went to 8000 it wouldn't be too bright then and would come out ok.

2. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    This is a defect not just something it does. crap. I only have the one camera, I don't want to have to send it in already.

Can someone confirm this ASAP as if it needs to be taken care of I'd like to do it very soon.

3. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    I wish I could for you, but my OM-D arrives tomorrow (and it'll be the first thing I check for).

There are users on DPReview that have reported this same occurence - black or very dark frames at high shutter speeds (they actually seemed to be around 1/2000s and higher) - when the camera should have PLENTY of light to expose (like f/1.4 on a sunny day, etc)

I know of at least one large thread where the user sent it back to Olympus and I think 10 days later had it repaired with I think a new shutter - unsure of country, though.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GG - Give me parameters and I'll do a test shot. I just put the P/S 20mm 1.7 wide open at shutter 4000 and ISO at 200 and the shot wasn't dark (very sunny outside).

Edit: I put the camera on 'high speed' and took 8 sequential photos, no problem with black frames.

What settings are giving you trouble?

Jim

5. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    It happens when I'm not paying attention. Like I'm shooting something in the shadow at say ISO 1000 f/6.3 then I see something in brighter light and shoot it quickly. So it's too bright for even 1/4000 and it comes out black. I look then set it up better to say ISO 640 and it's better again.

I've had it happen from 1/1600 up to 1/4000. With 4000 it's solid black down to 1/1600 it's just really dark. I have examples on my computer at work that I e-mailed to Adorama (the camera is no quite at 30 days yet and I'm not sure if I send it to them or directly to olympus- my husband wants them to see about exchanging it since it's still under the 30 days, but I'm not sure on their policy for this- which is why I e-mailed) I'm broke since buying it so I don't have a backup to use while it's at olympus which upsets me! I've never had to send anything in for warranty work before, but I want it working to it's fullest for what I paid for it! Aside from this, I REALLY REALLY love this camera! I just thought (stupidly I admit) that it was some safety thing for protecting the sensor from really bright light. I didn't know it's a problem. I'm glad I mentioned it here! This forum is the best!

Tomorrow at work I'll post a few images so you can see what's happening.

6. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Too dark here now to replicate conditions. I'll try tomorrow, supposed to be sunny.

The references I saw on this pertained to shooting in continuous mode, the first photos being O.K. then getting progressively darker until they reached total blackout.

Jim

7. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Here's one example

The other is just a solid black image. I have a couple others, but they all look the same. Just really dark. As long as I can get the shutter speed at 1/1600 or less it's ok, but I really can't use anything faster without having to do some serious photoshopping. Most can't be fixed at all.

EDT: here's one I purposely took last night. It was not dark out but in the photo it looks like it was past sunset. This isn't the greatest example. I took one, and of course deleted it, of some flowers with the bright sky behind them. This one (the 2nd photo) was slightly adjusted. I couldn't get the camera to easily take the photo since it was so bright. The third was very hard to take too. The first two came out VERY dark. This was the only one I could somewhat save.

Now one thing, these are the GOOD examples. The bad ones were deleted right on the camera since I didn't know there was an issue and I'd need to show them. The bad ones were much darker, not quite black, but VERY close to it.

Another

8. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Should we maybe start a different thread? Can these few posts pertaining to this be moved by a mod into a new thread? I don't want to go off topic so much in this one.

9. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GG -

I was able to replicate your results but only by using Manual mode, bright sunlight, ISO 800, 1/4000 shutter, aperture 7.1. Subject came out dark - also showed dark in the EVF as I was framing the shot.

When I put the camera into Aperture Priority mode it immediately adjusted shutter speed to 1/1600 and the shot came out fine. I left the ISO set at 800 and aperture at 7.1 for the test.

I used the Panasonic 45-200 for the test, set at 200mm (the settings were taken from the EXIF of one of your example photos).

It appears as though your camera in Aperture Priority may not be adjusting the shutter speed properly and you're getting underexposed photos.

I did 'swivel' the camera around to different subjects (in shade, part shade, bright sunlight) and the shutter speed adjusted accordingly and immediately.

New thread probably a good idea.

J

10. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    J

yeah it seems like the shutter isn't working like it should. in the shade it'll work fine. In lower shutter speeds it'll work fine, But above 1/1600 in bright areas it doesn't That lily shot, I lowered the ISO and the shutter went slower and worked fine. It just seems to not work in real bright light.

I'm assuming I should send this is in, yes? It's not just a little bug of protecting the sensor in bright light like I thought? I'm so sad to be without a camera. Anyone know the turn around time for this? Will it be days or weeks?

11. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK I've asked the moderators to move our old posts to this thread. I hope it's possible to do that.

This thread is where that discussion will take place instead of getting off topic on the other thread.

Thanks to the mods for moving this!!!

12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GG -

The only 'protection' I used was the lens hood on the 45-200 and the shutter speed set itself as quickly as I could change the subject. Sounds as if your camera has an issue. The only way I could replicate your under exposed shots was to intentionally use the 'wrong' settings in manual mode.

I don't know about the turn around time from Olympus, I've never used their service. I would recommend giving them a call or email to get their take on the under exposure issue.

J

13. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK I called adorama and they'll replace it but they're on a backorder with no known dates. She suggested I call olympus (which I was going to do any way.) I called and asked and they say that a black is normal for one under exposed. He said that I'd have to meter better, like use spot meter on the object, which I do use AEL on things, but this was just quick shooting and not really paying attention. Something would catch my eye and being used to 1/8000 on the DSLRs I'm not thinking in terms of only 1/4000. So that could be the problem. He said if I can't get it to work better send it in and they'll look it over. For now I'm just assuming user error, but if I keep finding that even metering better doesn't help it'll go in. Just with every other camera I've ever owned not one would take a black shot like this. Maybe it's just something different with Oly metering that I have to get used to??

14. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GG -

The EXIF on the last shot posted these numbers (the under exposed flowers):

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/2500 second ===> 0.0004 second
    Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 71/10 ===> ƒ/7.1
    Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
    ISO Speed Ratings = 1000

Maybe I'm all wet on this, I'm easily confused :wink:; but here's my take -

Your OM-D was in aperture priority, with aperture set at f/7.1; to my mind the camera should have set the shutter speed to something slower than the 1/2500 of a second that it actually chose as the 'proper' exposure.

There appears to be plenty of "wiggle room" - the camera could have doubled the exposure simply by halving the shutter speed.

The camera is supposed to set the shutter speed as required once the aperture is chosen by the photographer. Let's assume that you had set f7.1 on a previous shot, then swiveled and shot the new subject (the flowers) without taking time to change the aperture. The camera should have adjusted the shutter speed to allow for the change of ambient light on the new subject.

I've tinkered a bit and simply cannot replicate your results unless I force the under exposure using full manual mode. My OM-D changes the shutter speed so quickly that by the time the 45-200 focuses the proper shutter speed has already been dialed in.

Maybe someone more versed on exposure and the OM-D can chime in and show where I'm all wet on this, but I've been shooting 35mm since 1969 and I seriously doubt that the Olympus technician understood exactly what your OM-D is doing.

If Adorama will place you on the 'replacement' list and let you keep your current OM-D until the new one comes in, I'd do that. Otherwise I'd get a second opinion from a different Olympus technician.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim

15. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Yeah I'm still not 100% on this. I just don't know enough about exposure on the OMD, which is why I'm not sure if it's user error. I'm not sure why it would be dark at 1/2000 when it could go to 1/4000 or 1/1200 to change lighter or darker as needed. It's not shooting at 1/2500 in the shade, it's shooting at 1/640 or whatever it's metering at for the f/stop. So it's not like it's not trying to change the shutter speed, it is trying, it's just not getting it right.

argh! this is frustrating. I guess I'll call adorama back and see if I can keep this until the new ones come in. They're giving me a couple days leeway on my 30 days, but that ends very soon since I've been trying to contact them since 8/2 and 30 days was yesterday (when CS is out.) I don't think they'll let me keep this one since it's past the 30 days now. But if the backorder is much more then a few days I also don't want to be without a camera. I wish I had the money to buy a cheap backup camera, but I just don't.

ETA:

Called adorama and being the awesome company they are, they're doing an exchange. They don't have the silver in stock and a very limited supply of the black kits in. So when they get the camera back they'll send me whichever they have in stock, but the sad part is they won't hold a black kit for me. I'm only a day away from them so I hope they don't sell out in the next couple days! They also apologized about 3 times for Olympus not understanding the issue even though they don't have to!

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking there just has to be something wrong with the shutter. There is something messing up between the metering and the shutter. I was taking photos a few weeks ago of my water lily (white) and I tried about 20 shots then gave up. For some reason it wouldn't meter it right. I tried spot metering, I tried AEL with spot, AEL with eval. Nothing would work. I just could not get the shot. It kept coming out VERY dark or black. I couldn't even see the bright white of the flower. Later that day I tried again and it came out looking great?! All I did for that one was set it to f/6.3 and shoot. It metered fine. ?? When it was working I LOVE this camera. That's what's so frustrating. I just can't wait to get my replacement! I'm already going stir crazy and it's only just been packed up 20 minutes ago! It's just SO fun to use!

16. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    In case anyone else is following this aside from Jim, and if it happens to anyone else I'm updating everyone.

I got my replacement camera back a couple hours ago. VERY fast from adorama! After I charged the batteries (which the blue nook ones from amazon work fine so far) I snapped a few photos. I had high ISO and made sure it was f/6.3 and 1/4000 and the photo came out!! It wasn't black it wasn't dark. It looked fine! So it was the camera not just me! So far all is well with the new one!

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There will always be lemons. It's great news it got resolved quickly and easily for you!

18. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Awesome, good to hear GardenGirl ;)

19. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK a bunch more shots and I'm back in love! The other camera was only a lemon in this part, the rest I loved it! I re-took the problem shots and guess what? They're just what they're supposed to be! The one flower shot is nice and back-lit, getting a very nice silhouette going on. The birds in the sky are nice. I really thought I was doing something wrong, but when Jim was so nice to help out, and a few others on another forum suggested it's not me, I looked harder at it. Self doubt stinks! Went with my gut and now the new camera is awesome!

20. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Most excellent news!!! :2thumbs:

You've had a pretty good day, camera-wise :wink:.

Glad everything is working for ya.

Jim