1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

High School Performance with E-PL1 & 20mm

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by isabel95, Mar 31, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I would have preferred to use the 14-42mm II lens but it was just too slow for the lighting in this auditorium.

Shot in both raw and jpg and wound up using the jpgs because the color was so good with the white balance set at incandescent.

I had to use the 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic because I needed the fast lens. Would love to have had a longer fast lens, but there is no long fast native lens that I know of for the micro 4/3 cameras.

The shadow/highlights adjustment really worked great for setting the exposures, most of which were taken at MINUS 3 compensation!

Here's a slideshow: "Fame"

Isabel

• Like Like x 4
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    You had good enough light to not have to shoot a really high iso, help with the noise. This was better then I would expect with the 20 1.7 did not think it would AF fast enough to keep up with some of the action of the dance. Nicely done. that is allot at EV -3

3. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Very well-done, Isabel. Nice series.

4. isabel95

I had no trouble with the big focus box!

Thanks, Shoturtle.

Really snappy focus lock with the 20mm f/1.7. I was very surprised...and I place great faith in the shadow/highlights setting - the blue was blinking like crazy telling me that the darker areas would have no detail, but I watch the red blinkies to make sure no light areas had blown details. I really did need that minus 3 compensation with the strong directed lights.

I suppose I could have used a smaller aperture (worked in aperture priority) but I want to make sure I had a fast enough shutter speed to catch action.

Isabel

5. isabel95

Thanks, John......

I was especially happy that even though I had to crop to avoid the two heads in front of me, there was enough quality in the full image to allow oftentimes for my cropping down to just about 25% of the original picture.

Isabel

6. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I have a 12 year old and I think the biggest battle (camera notwithstanding) is to get to the event early enough to get a decent seat from which to photograph. It gets pretty cut-throat at our school, as people line up early and jockey to get a good vantage point seat-wise.:smile:

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Isabel,

That was a nice way to start my busy Friday. Good work.

Alan

8. isabel95

Thank you....

Opening up the pictures in Flickr and finding they were so good, was a great way to end my day!

Each day, the e-pl1 pleases me more...I just wish they would make some longer faster lenses for it.

Isabel