1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

High Res Mode Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AaronE, Jan 6, 2018.

1. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    A place to post discussion and questions regarding Olympus High Res Mode.

There are several other discussions on high res mode scattered across the forum. I thought it would be good to have a place for asking questions about how to correctly use the high res mode and for others to provide guidance. I personally have not had much luck using the high res mode and could use some help.

2. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    I will start this thread off with a question and example. I have been trying to use the high res mode on my Pen-f for landscape images. I have found that my images appear to be slightly blurry and less sharp than the same image taken without high res. I have the camera on very stout tripod and use an 8 second delay on the shutter or remote release. I have image stabilization set to auto. Even with the application of sharpening the images do not look sharp. These were shot in RAW and converted to DNG in Lightroom. 1/500 sec, f7.1, 12mm on the 12-40mm lens.

20180101-_1010079CY.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And an extensive crop from the center of the image

20180101-_1010079CY-2.jpg

3. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I can't help you with a solution but can tell you my experience. I have taken high res photos 10 or 15 times with my EM5-Mk2. I typically just set the lens down on a wall or nearby stone, tree, etc. and take the photo. About half have turned out less than optimized in my case. I have blamed that in my mind on my bumping the camera a little when hitting the shutter. Sometimes I have used a delay but not always.

When it does work, however, it clearly shows more detail and has been relatively sharp compared to a standard photo taken at the same location without the high res mode.

All of that to say that I too have had some blurry examples but I have not been as diligent as you have (tripod and long delay).

I would try a few more things.
    1. Possbily the tripod is not as stable as one might think. Skip the tripod, put the camera on a solid wall, rock, etc and see if an even more solid base will help.
    2. Try several. Are they all blurry.
    3. Possibly needs to be serviced in some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Is it advised to turn off image stabilization when mounted on a tripod with Oly bodies?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cnyap

cnyap Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2015
    I agree, why guess, turn off stabilization, and the lens might be shaper at f4 or f5.6.

6. OlympMick

OlympMick Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't have much experience with the high res mode either so take my comments with a huge grain of salt. From what I've read, you have to apply a lot of sharpening in post to the high res images. Others have reported sharpening the image all the way, converting it to a TIFF, and then applying even more sharpening. Looking at your centre crop, there's a lot of detail in there and I don't see any motion blur affecting the shot. I say give the method I mentioned a try.

Also, I believe IBIS doesn't work with the high res mode because the camera uses the same "motors" to shift the pixels. This is also one of the reasons why handheld high res is not possible yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    The HR shots do take a lot of sharpening. Hitting them with maximum sharpening doesn't tend to even produce the oversharpened look at 200-400% from my experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 3dpan

3dpan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 11, 2017
    Far North, New Zealand
    Alec
    FWIW, I too have a problem improving the resolution using Hi Res mode on my E-M5 II.
    Though I have only tried with 500mm and 350mm legacy lenses, cable release, 2 sec delayed shutter, sturdy tripod, holding-my-breath.

9. 3dpan

3dpan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 11, 2017
    Far North, New Zealand
    Alec
  10. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    I've had good experiences with HR mode as long as your lens is really good. I made a panorama shot like this from downscaling the 80mp to 20mp:
    Glacier Point Really Small.jpg

And this isn't even a 100%:
    PA012515A.jpg

I mean this is only a 50%:
    PA012515B.jpg

Using a not very sturdy tripod, but the legs weren't extended and I had it down low on a rock and used a 4 second delay while using a corded release off the side. At this point looking at these shots I think atmospheric effects and haze kills resolution more than anything for these shots.

I think the lens was a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 stopped down to f/5.6-8 on a Speedbooster Ultra. One of my sharpest lenses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    I don't have any examples at hand since they've mostly been 'proof of concept' rather than anything terribly interesting. I've had what I consider success with my E-M5II and outdoor/landscape shots - BUT only with the jpeg output. I have yet to successfully process a RAW hi-res file with even close to acceptable results - but then I'm not great at PP in general from what I can tell.

From my reading, it seems fairly clear that the best results from the RAW files still involve downscaling to something close to the jpeg resolution. there just isn't that much information in these files, and I think that's part of what makes the sharpening so difficult.

12. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    I had to downscale because I ran out of memory to process that panorama, which is one of the downsides of working with HR mode. Huge files with huge amount of data means huge amounts of memory usage just for one file.

13. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    I just got my new EM1 Mkii and I have played with the high res quite a bit. Mostly with flash and some continuous lighting. Some shots are clearly higher detail. Some have strange angled lines in places and some are just not much different. IS is turned off automatically because it is shifting the sensor. You can check it on the menu when you switch to high res it shuts off IS. I think the lens is super important here. Lighting too.

14. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I recently did a coffee with Olympus training session and it was indicated just leave it in auto stabilization when on a tripod, no need to turn it off.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    A "stout tripod" is not good enough. I have found that total stability of the camera is essential. When I have used a tripod outside, if there is any wind or vibration, the results are not properly sharp. Try an experiment. Put the camera on a solid flat surface such as a granite worktop or concrete paving.
    Other points.
    • You need a really good lens. I have used the 12-40 Pro and the 7-14 Pro.
    • Don't go smaller than f/5.6, as quality begins to suffer.
    • You are already using a good 8 second delay.
    • Leaving IS turned on is not a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. DennyVanNostrand

Jan 3, 2018
    I just took these two pics for comparison. They are from my EM1 Mkii with a 12-40 F2.8 lens. I just threw the camera on a tripod and didn't even set a time delay. I can see a big difference between them.
    The one on top is a standard res straight out of the camera and the one on bottom is HR raw converted in Olympus Viewer 3.

As a side note the lettering on this old meter seems to cause purple fringing on a lot of my lenses. The Oly 12-40 looks great. Also I did a handheld shot at a higher ISO and it looked awesome.
    This meter sits on a shelf with really low light.

17. DustyGeorge

DustyGeorge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
  18. DennyVanNostrand

Jan 3, 2018
  19. Winmeister

Winmeister Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2017
    As I understand it, even if you set IBIS to on or off, in HiRes mode, the camera has to internally disable the IBIS, so that it can shift using IBIS mechanism for this function to work! As far as I can understand (I am quite sure I am correct) as long as it's on tripod and with some time delay with subject isn't moving, HiRes should work well enough, regardless of IBIS settings. Even though, I don't see big difference myself or use HiRes mode often. I now take panorama with special head and stitch in LR/PS or use focus stacking for clearer pictures with large DOF and process multi pictures in PS (like this: 12-40 pro, 3 pics stacked).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ed Pledger

Ed Pledger Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston
    Although I have limited experience with its use in the field, I routinely test the resolution of lenses, mostly legacy ones but also any newly acquired Oly or Panasonic lenses, by using a standard target with extremely fine details and the hi-res option on my EM5ii. I use the hi-res because there is indeed a noticeable increase in resolution over the standard setting. A stern test for a lens, not only for sharpness but also fringing, etc. I use a stable tripod, 8 sec delay, and I routinely shoot from wide open on the lens to f8. Having done this with 40 or 50 lenses, it quickly reveals what I can expect from a particular lens in optimum settings. And there are certainly some disappointments revealed along the way. In the field I would stick to the sweet f-stop and an even heavier tripod, along with the 8 sec delay, especially if attempting to use it with a long tele.

With regard to the mountain landscape panorama, I agree that atmospheric haze, turbulence, etc., is a greater problem than generally realized. This I learned from long distance target shooting, benchrest competition, using 36 to 40x scopes...attempting to read the running mirage is an art.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.